(click on image for larger view)
And I was right. It was just the thing to go with the rich tastes of our traditional Christmas dinner of roasted stuffed chicken (we always roast chicken rather than turkey…).
And it looked beautiful in the center of the table beside the bowls of sour cherry jelly salad and cranberry sauce too. (Did I think to take a picture? No. We were too busy preparing dinner, eating hors d’oeuvres and/or having fun.)
measurements are approximate – you’ll want to play with it
- 1 large beet, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- cider vinegar
- 1 apple, grated (I used ‘Golden Delicious’)
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp toasted chili flakes, pestlemortared finely
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- hint of grainy mustard
- 1 green onion, chopped finely
- fresh parsley
- olive oil, just enough to soften the taste
- Mixed it about 2 hours before dinner. It melds and is the same good (if not a bit better) the next day.
- Taste. Add more of whatever you think is missing, if necessary.
edit April 2012: Please note that our beet salad is always slightly different. The only constant is beets, onions and cider vinegar. Sometimes we add carrots, apples and/or pears if we have them. Sometimes we throw in a little ground clove or minced garlic. Thompson raisins are a very nice addition as well.