I did make the vegetable side dishes though. Eggplant and basil that looked like dog’s breakfast but tasted fabulous. And the beets with capers that looked beautiful and tasted just as wonderful as they looked.
Such poor management that I can’t remember now why I strayed from my usual beets with fennel and mustard seeds, chili flakes, cider vinegar and a dash of cloves. My guess is that I looked at the beet recipes in “Alphabet of Vegetables” on Alanna Kellogg’s (A Veggie Venture) site. Or was it someone on TV? Or perhaps one of the SAVEUR magazines suggested the combination. Or did I find it on while wandering around the internet?
Aha!!! My first thought was right. Here it is on Alanna’s site: Red Onion Beets.
Beets with Capers
based on Alanna Kellogg’s version of a recipe in Laura Calder’s French Food at Home
- good shot olive oil
- chili flakes
- brown mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- beet(s), peeled and thinly sliced
- chicken stock
- cider vinegar
- seasalt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a cast iron frying pan. Add mustard seeds and chili flakes. When the seeds begin to pop, add the onion and saute til it is just starting to caramelize.
- Add beet slices and stir to coat with oil. Add a little chicken stock and a little cider vinegar and put a lid over the pan. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the beets are fork tender.
- Stir in capers.
Serve immediately. (Actually, this can be made in advance and reheated just before being served.)
- other beet recipes:
* A Veggie Venture: Red Onion Beets
* Beets and Turnip with Fennel and Mustard Seeds
* Beet Salad
- recipes from OUR kitchen – index
I love beets done like this. The capers are a lovely touch.
This beet dish went fabulously with the ricotta leek pie. It goes fabulously with a chop too. Or chicken. Or pasta. Or….