(click on image for larger view and more photos)
I murmured something about crying over burnt cinnamon buns not long ago… Here, at last is the photographic evidence.
They don’t look so bad, do they?
It really was too bad too. The buns were going to be fantastic! In the recipe, I had used about 1½ cups of wild starter (around 750gm on my rotten scale) and only ¼ tsp active dry yeast rather than the 2½ tsp of active dry yeast called for. I also reduced the amount of water to 1¾ cup rather than 2 cups. (1 cup milk, ¾ water) Here is the recipe I followed to make 16 buns:
The resulting dough was beautifully silky and elastic and rose only a tiny bit slower than the commercial yeast versions. In fact, I was a little sorry that I had added any commercial yeast at all.
And I did set the timer…. (I did!!!)
…perhaps I should always burn them on the bottom (bite my tongue!!!)
This post is partially mirrored on The Fresh Loaf: black bottom cinnaburns