Wednesday, 1 February 2006
EoMEoTE#14 – the Party Trick Edition*
We just tried the most fantastic recipe for ‘hot chili oil paste’ that we read about in Mangoes and Curry Leaves by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. They say that they first tried it with hard boiled eggs and that it is now one of the standard condiments in their house. Well, we had to try it. And how fitting that we were reading about this right near the end of the month – just in time for EoMEoTE#14 (at least I think it’s taking place this month) Not to mention that we also just discovered the most amazing way to take the shell of hard boiled eggs**. I mean really. Could the timing be more perfect for EoMEoTE?
The chili paste called for green onions, which we didn’t have. But we weren’t going to let that stop us. Onions are onions. So we used regular cooking onions and added a couple of green chilies for colour.
Indian Chili Paste
based on a recipe in Mangoes and Curry Leaves by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid
- 7 dried red cayenne peppers
- 1 inch long ginger, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt, to taste (should be salty – it’s a condiment)
- black pepper
- ¼ medium sized onion, chopped finely (the original recipe calls for green onions but we didn’t have any)
- 2 green chillies, chopped finely
- ¼ c vegetable oil, (canola, safflower, sunflower…)
- Grind dried peppers, ginger, garlic and salt in a pestle and mortar (or use a food processor).
- Heat oil in a small pan until it is almost smoking. Add spice mix, onions and green chili. Cook and stir for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a clean glass jar with decent lid.
- Alford and Duguid say this will keep up to a month in the refrigerator.
Serve with hard boiled eggs. It is also good as a garnish for soup or rice.
We boiled some eggs and OH MY!! This really is the best thing for hard boiled eggs!! I want to have hard boiled eggs EVERY day! Oh yes, and the requisite “toast” for EoMEoTE? We had pita bread.
* Because there has not yet been an official announcement from Cook Sister! about the theme for this month’s EoMEoTE, I have made an executive decision and decided that this month’s theme is
Party Tricks – because there is a big party at the end of January. (There must be a big party somewhere! Oh yes!! It’s Chinese New Year….)
click on images to see larger versions
** Hard Boiled Egg Party Trick: Rap the hard boiled egg on both ends. Remove a tiny amount of shell from the narrow end and some of the shell from the large end. Making sure that you have sealed any side holes and blow on the top end. The egg pops right out of the bottom part of the shell. Really. You’ve GOT to try it!
And last night we had a Bengali fish curry, rice and steamed green beans. We thought it would go well with the green beans. It was good, no doubt. But I have to say that lime pickle was a better complement.