Fouace Nantaise is January’s BBB project. Considering that oranges are at the height of their season in late December and January (or at least that’s the case in the northern hemisphere), it just seemed fitting to choose a bread made with oranges. Even though not much of the orange is used….
Bread Baking Buddies (BBB): Fouace Nantaise
This January has been a rollercoaster with wild weather fluctuations and bizarre happenings south of the border. Several BBBabes weathered the storms and baked the bread, but just three BBBuddies joined us this time around. Perhaps they got scared off by the looooooong rising time.
As always, BBBuddies come from all over the world; isn’t the internet wonderful?
Here, in alphabetical order by first name, are January 2017’s intrepid three BBBuddies:
Louise, FB group Bread Baking Babes and Friends
Louise is a child of the universe and made her fouace with a non-traditional 7 petals (8 rolls). And her fouace Nantaise turned out beautifully! She gave her bread two full rises and added white whole wheat, but no wheat germ. She didn’t use any alcohol either, just substituting it with milk. She wrote, “The aroma while it baked was heady […] I’ll definitely make this again soon. Thank you so much for a delicious and easy to use recipe.” She also used SAF Gold Yeast to help the butter and sugar rise better. Wow. How beautiful is that?
» Louise P, Bread Baking Babes and Friends
Marcin (Grahamka, weka i kajzerka…)
Using orange juice instead of orange liqueur and orange extract instead of orange blossom water and finally sprinkling the fouace with powdered sugar, Marcin wrote, W smaku i fakturze przypomina nasza typowa drozdzowa babke wielkanocna, ale o intensywnym pomaranczowym smaku i aromacie. A skladaja sie na to sok i skórka z pomaranczy, i dodatkowo esencja pomaranczowa. [The taste and texture is reminiscent of our typical Easter yeasted babka, but with an intense orange flavor and aroma. Which is from the juice and orange peel, and in addition the orange essence.] Doesn’t it look delicious?!
» Marcin, Grahamka, weka i kajzerka…, Fouace nantaise – drozdzówki z Nantes (In Polish with Google translation tab on the sidebar)
Sherry followed Jamie’s recipe and, as you can see, in spite of adding rum AND substituting Grand Marnier for the orange flower water, had no difficulty with the rise. She wrote, It was a rainy day – so I baked. Great fragrance, texture, and flavor! What a perfect way to spend a rainy day!
» Sherry, Fouace Nantaise
BBBuddies, you really are the BBBest!!
If I missed posting about anyone’s BBB Fouace Nantaise, please do let me know.
- email me
» Remember to include your name and a link to your post
» Please type “BBB January 2017 bread” in the subject heading
And of course, if you haven’t made Fouace Nantaise yet, just because the deadline is past, I hope that won’t stop you from making it. Because it’s delicious….
Thank you to all who baked Fouace Nantaise. I’m thrilled that so many people like it. Here’s hoping that Jamie’s upcoming Oranges cookbook will be so successful that Oranges2 will appear shortly afterwards—with Fouace Nantaise included.
Bread Baking Babes’ January 2017 Bread
- BBB January 2017 recipe for Fouace Nantaise, based on Jamie’s Fouace Nantaise
- BBBuddy guidelines
- about the BBBabes
- Facebook: Bread Baking Babes and Friends
Here are the BBBabes’ Fouaces Nantaises:
BBB Fouace Nantaise Gallery:
center image: Jamie (Life’s a Feast)
clockwise around center, from top left:
KarenK (Karen’s Kitchen Stories), Elizabeth (blog from OUR kitchen), Kelly (A Messy Kitchen), Tanna (My Kitchen in Half Cups), Lien (Notitie van Lien), Elle/Pat (Feeding My Enthusiasms), Judy (Judy’s Gross Eats), Aparna (My Diverse Kitchen), Cathy (Bread Experience)
BBBabes’ January 2017 bread:
- Aparna, My Diverse Kitchen: La Fouace Nantaise – French Brioche Style Bread
- Cathy, Bread Experience: Fouace Nantaise | Orange Star Bread #BreadBakingBabes
- Elizabeth, blog from OUR kitchen: Dreaming of Orange Blossoms – Fouace Nantaise (BBB January 2017) (kitchen of the month)
- Heather, All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Ilva, Ilva Baretta Photography
- Judy, Judy’s Gross Eats: BBB: Fouace Nantaise
- Jamie, Life’s a Feast: Fouace Nantaise for Bread Baking Babes and a Little Taste of Nantes
- Karen, Bake My Day
- Karen K, Karen’s Kitchen Stories: Fouace Nantaise | two ways
- Katie (BBBBB), Thyme for Cooking: Bread Baking Babes Celebrate Oranges: Fouace Nantaise
- Kelly, A Messy Kitchen: Fouace Nantaise – an Orange Scented Bread with the BBB
- Lien, Notitie van Lien: Babes give you an orange flower
- Pat (aka Elle), Feeding My Enthusiasms: Wonderful with Jam
- Tanna, My Kitchen in Half Cups: BBB ~ Fouace Nantaise