We love it when there is lots of leftover rice from the evening before. Because then we can have fried rice with mushrooms, peas, egg and sesame oil for breakfast!
It’s also nice to add a bit of black bean chili sauce. Remind me to rave about the black bean chili sauce!!
(click on image for larger view and more photos)
nope, no measurements
- vegetable oil
- whole dried cayenne chili (optional)
- onions, chopped
- sausage or ham, chopped
- mushrooms, sliced
- ginger, julienned
- frozen peas
- cooked rice
- seasalt and pepper
- sesame oil
- Heat oil in a wok. Fry the chili(s) until dark brown, if using. Add onions and fry until beginning to colour.
- Add sausage or ham and ginger and fry til the meat looks done.
- Stir in frozen peas to cover with oil. Add rice and stir to combine and make sure the rice is hot.
- Break egg(s) into a small bowl and whisk lightly. Make a hole in the center of the wok and pour the egg in. Cook the egg, turning it once. When the egg is done, remove it to a plate and set aside.
Spoon the fried rice onto plates. Divide the egg into even portions and place on top of the rice. Drizzle with sesame oil. Serve immediately with good strong coffee. Don’t forget to put the bowl of chili paste on the table for anyone who wants it.
some of our other breakfast extravaganzas:
- Mmmm… granola
- Moringa Leaf Omelette and Chapatis
- Eggs Florentine (ish)
- Swiss chard is fabulous in an omelette
- Chili Paste Revisited (with hard boiled eggs)
- local asparagus at last! (with hard boiled eggs and cheese sauce)
- green chili omelette
- waffles with rosemary honey
I can’t believe I haven’t posted yet about a relatively new discovery: red pepper spaghetti omelettes!
Oh oh. Here it is the beginning of May and the deadline for this post is past. Errrrmm; it was 30 April. (I KNEW I should have used the Mmmm… granola post for WTSIM… breakfast!) I wonder if I might plead that this should be allowed because we made and ate this breakfast in April…
Johanna (The Passionate Cook) is hosting April’s WTSIM… and has announced that the theme is breakfast. Here is what she wrote in her WTSIM… announcement:
I think it’s time the foodblogging world showed us what makes THEIR breakfast special… don’t even bother sending me entries with marmite on toast, I want the most luxurious, indulging, refreshing, creative recipe you have up your sleeve and it’s totally up to you what you make as long as it fits the breakfast theme.
The deadline for WTSIM… breakfast! is 30 April, 2008. If you would like to participate, please read the following for more information:
edit 4 May 2008: Johanna has posted the WTSIM… breakfast! roundup.