click on image to see same view of roast chickens
We were thinking that if chocolate in gravy is good, then more chocolate would be even better.
(makes enough for a 3 lb roasting chicken)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 c dry bread crumbs
- 1 c Smarties
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped finely (1 tsp dried thyme)
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onions til transluscent. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, Smarties, thyme and salt.
- Add onion mixture to breadcrumbs and Smarties. Mix well.
- Stuff bird and pin opening closed. Rub the skin with olive oil, sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, celery salt, pepper.
- Put into a preheated 500F oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 350F. Roast the bird for a half hour per pound, basting every 15 minutes.
Smarties […] come in eight vibrant and playful colours, with sweet milk chocolate locked inside each crunchy candy shell.
In retrospect, it might have been a better idea to use M&M’s®, because they don’t melt in your hand. But still, all in all, Smarties roasted in a chicken are amazing!
Oh yes, and by the way, I’m not fooling about Mom’s dressing for roast chicken. It really is the best.