For some bizarre reason, it didn’t occur to me until a couple of days ago that fantans would be great as garlic bread!
Instead of using the BBB fantan dough recipe that called for a starter and also contained sugar and egg, I decided to roughly follow our naan recipe – replacing the butter with olive oil and adding a small amount of ground flax seed.
Then I thinly sliced 3 cloves of garlic and put them into the butter as it melted and slathered it all over the rolled out dough.
I thought I was using LOTS of garlic. I really did.
I actually read (and retained for a few moments) the Joy of Cooking instructions for shaping fantans. They’re right! Dental floss (unwaxed and unflavoured…) is the perfect thing for cutting through the sloppy layers.
The dough was on the slack side and layers stuck together fast when I put them into the buttered containers. There was no way to fan them out. Next time, rather than melting the butter first, I will slather soft butter on the dough. It will be WAY easier. When these rolls were ready to bake, it appeared that the layers had stuck together fast.
I was thrilled to see that the rolls fanned out all on their own in the oven.
The wonderful smells of roasted garlic and freshly baked bread filled the house. And we immediately tucked into hot garlicky buttery rolls with big bowls of life-giving steaming lentil soup.
It was the perfect dinner to have on a cold dark winter night.
But next time, remind me to use more butter and garlic in the rolls.
- Fantan recipes:
» blog from OUR kitchen: Peach Jam Fan Tans
» Feeding My Enthusiasms: Sweet Orange Marmalade Fantan Rolls
» Feeding My Enthusiasms: Sweet Potato Orange Rolls
» Wild Yeast: Pesto Fan Rolls and Oregano Fan Rolls
» Andrea’s Recipes: Yogurt Fantail Rolls
» Epicurious: Buttermilk Fantails (Gourmet, February 2009)
» ~ e l r a ~ : Coconut Layer Buns
- Information and Tools
» YouTube: How to Make Bread : Bake Fan Rolls
» RecipeTips.com: Fan Tan Rolls | How to Cooking Tips (recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1121/shaping-rolls.asp#fantan)
» Gourmet Sleuth: Cooking Conversions Calculator
- recipes from OUR kitchen:
» more bread recipes
» even more bread recipes
Each week, Susan (Wild Yeast) compiles a list of many bread-specific recipes from across the web. For complete details on how to be included in the YeastSpotting round up, please read the following:
Bake Your Own Bread (BYOB)
BYOB is a monthly event begun by Sandy (At the Baker’s Bench), passed on to Cathy (Bread Experience) and hosted by Heather (girlichef) last year. Heather wrote:
that encourages you to start (or continue) getting comfortable baking bread in your own kitchen. Anything from simple quick breads to conquering that fear of yeast to making and nurturing your own sourdough starter. All levels of bakers are welcome to participate.
Heather has handed the BYOB hosting reins over to Roxana (Roxana’s Homebaking). For more information about BYOB and how to participate, please read the following:
- BYOB: Bake Your Own Bread (roxanashomebaking.com/bake-your-own-bread/)
Bread Baking Babes
edit 14:20: We counted how many BBBabes there were and realized we were only eleven. So we asked Heather (girlichef) to join us and are thrilled that she said yes.
For complete details about this month’s recipe, the BBB and how to become a BBBuddy, please read:
- BBB Kitchen of the month: Pat (aka Elle), Feeding My Enthusiasms: Jam fantans for January 2013.
- BBBuddy guidelines
- about the BBBabes
Please take a look at the BBBabes’ Fantans:
- Astrid, PaulChen’s FoodBlog
- Elizabeth, blog from OUR kitchen: Peach Jam Fan Tans; Garlic Fantans
- Gretchen, Provecho Peru: Sour Cherry Fantans provechoperu.com/2013/01/sour-cherry-fantans/
- Heather, girlichef: Fantan Rolls: Orange Marmalade + Cinnamon-Sugar. It’s official, I’m a Babe.
- Ilva, Lucullian Delights: Layers of goodness – Fantan Rolls
- Jamie, Life’s a Feast: Cinnamon Sugar Or Sour Cherry Jam Fantans
- Karen, Bake My Day: Bread Baking Babes are jamming… Jam Fantans
- Katie, Thyme for Cooking: The Babes do the Fan-Tan
- Lien, Notitie van Lien: Babes start with some fantans in 2013
- Natashya, Living In The Kitchen With Puppies: Jam Fantans!
- Pat (aka Elle), (kitchen of the month) Feeding My Enthusiasms: Jam fantans for January
- Tanna, My Kitchen in Half Cups: BBB – Fan Tan Rolls