(click on image to see larger view)
The following is a guest post by T, who decided I was taking too long to post the amazing cake recipe. -ejm
The miracle cake (or the perfect cake recipe)
– Followed the recipe (see below) and placed everything into two buttered cake pans.
– Placed cake pans into a pre-heated 350F degree oven. Set timer for 35 minutes.
– Left the room feeling happy.
– Came down 10 minutes later and realized I’d forgotten to add the flour to the recipe.
– Took the cake pans out of oven.
– Emptied their contents into my just washed and dried mixing bowl.
– Added 2 cups of flour and using our new Mixall hand blender and combined the flour into the already begining to cook mixture.
– Hastily washed, rebuttered and refloured the cake tins.
– Added the mix (with flour) to the cake pans (again) and placed in the oven.
– Left the room feeling somewhat happy.
– Came down 20 minutes later and realized that in the previous flurry of activity and the missing flour I had turned the oven off.
– Took cake pans out of the cold oven and re-heated oven.
– Re-introduced cake to the pre-heated oven.
– Cooked for 25 minutes.
- Perfect cake
***** **** **** **** **** **** *****
Under the circumstances this recipe seems fool proof.
based on “The Best Chocolate Cake“
- 9 Tbsp cocoa powder¹
- ¾ c unsalted butter²
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2 c allpurpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ teaspoon seasalt
- 1 c plain yogurt (3.2% butterfat)
- ½ c boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Put butter, sugar and eggs into a mixing bowl, and beat with electric hand mixer until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cocoa powder and beat to combine.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together and mix into to batter.
- Add yogurt and hot water and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until cake centers spring back when touched. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
Spread some orange marmelade on top of the bottom layer. Ice both layers with lots of cream cheese chocolate icing.
¹,² The original recipe called for 3 squares unsweetened chocolate and ½ c butter.
*** 1 square chocolate = 3 tablespoons cocoa plus 1 tablespoon butter (1 ounce) ***