I believe I mentioned in the post about jerk pork in the clay pot that we use doctored President’s Choice jerk sauce.
But we realized that it has been ages since we bought a bottle. It’s likely that there is nothing left of the President’s jerk sauce in the bottle. Here is what is there:
T’s Jerk Sauce …oh yes; it’s HOT
(measurements are approximate)
- 4 Scotch bonnet peppers – seeds and all (or 12 Thai chillies), chopped finely
- 3 bunches scallions (green onions), chopped finely
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- ½ cup demerara sugar (brown sugar)
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme leaves
- 3 Tbsp ground allspice
- 3 dried cayenne chilies, ground
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ c dark rum
- Mix it all together (blender is very handy for this) and store in a glass jar in the fridge. It keeps for months.
To use it, put whatever meat you will be jerking (pork, chicken…) into a plastic bag or glass bowl and pour just enough of the jerk sauce to cover (a tablespoon or so per piece of meat). Store the rest of the jerk sauce in a clean glass jar in the fridge.
If you’re barbecuing, allow the meat to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, more or less, depending on the tenderness of the meat.
If you’re using the claypot, soak the claypot in cold water. When the claypot is ready, just dump the meat and jerk sauce in a bowl, mix well and dump it into the claypot. Then put it in the oven at 350F or 400F or whatever you’re comfortable with for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
Serve jerk over rice, garnish with oven roasted sweet potatoes and go to town!!
edit February 2008: It has been brought to our attention that this jerk sauce is insanely hot. When you have it, make sure to serve plenty of plain rice. You could also offer bowls of yoghurt to douse the flames. Beer works well too.