discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

HTML in e-mail revisited

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have HTML as the default for your email?
Yes, yes, yes, and I don't understand why there would be objections
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, I love putting every second word in a different colour
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, and I always send a background image attachment as well.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Oh my no, why would I do that?
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
HTML??? What's that? I can change things in my email???
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: HTML in e-mail revisited Reply with quote

I know that I've raved about this before. But really. Why oh why do people neeeeeed to send their emails in HTML? Especially if the message in the email is simply one line.

And unless it is a support letter, is it really necessary to send all the earlier messages? Has nobody ever heard of snipping?? Or disabling HTML for anything that doesn't really need to be formatted??

Okay, I feel better now.

(No, I've told a lie. Alas, strangely, I feel just as frustrated as ever. I just received a one line answer email that was 293.9kb because it was in HTML and included all of the previous answers and replies.)

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is that I use several different computers and two different email clients. I always intend for my emails to be plain text but sometimes html becomes set as the default by an upgrade and I don't notice for a while.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
sometimes html becomes set as the default by an upgrade and I don't notice for a while.

This is what disturbs me most. Not that you don't notice. It's that HTML is the default. Simple text should be the default. There are lots of people who don't even know that they are sending and receiving heavily formatted e-mail. And then they wonder why their computers take so long to download the mail. And how many of them blame the server for being sluggish?

Now that I'm on a roll, here's the thing that really really bugs me about the HTML default. I frequently get email from an otherwise savvy person (except when it comes to email). The email often contains directions and times. On several occasions, I have sent a reply to ask her to clarify a point. And she has sent back "it's whatever is in red letters". No amount of "but I don't see the colours" has worked. So now I have to ferret around in the HTML coding (that gets tacked onto the bottom of the simple text email) to look for
Code:
<font face=red>
in order to establish which sections of the text are red letter text. Sheesh.

But perhaps I'm just being very old-fashioned to be annoyed at getting bulky text....

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just changed my email to be plain text. stomp I guess I'm one of those idiot people (and clearly the one who answered the poll with HTML: what's that? I can change my email?) who is generally computer savvy but not about email. I'll do better now. I'm surprised that my email recipients haven't complained.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I'm [...] the one who answered the poll with HTML: what's that? I can change my email?) who is generally computer savvy but not about email.

And I was just about to come in and ask "Who was the wag who chose the final answer in the poll?" la la la

I wouldn't go so far as to label those who don't know that the default is HTML as idiots. Ignorant, yes. And as to why recipients don't complain - I only know why I haven't complained to the people who send me HTML email. After a while, it just feels like I'm being rude. I do know that the person who sends me "red" text thinks I'm really really strange not to have HTML. I suspect that she thinks our computer isn't a new enough version to get it. stomp stomp stomp stomp

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I have just changed my email to be plain text. stomp I guess I'm one of those idiot people (and clearly the one who answered the poll with HTML: what's that? I can change my email?) who is generally computer savvy but not about email. I'll do better now. I'm surprised that my email recipients haven't complained.

I don't mind the html as much as I mind people who send fancy messages with images (messages about interesting seminars etc. with the salient info in the image!) So that the message cannot be forwarded in plain text without eliminating the info that was so carefully encoded in the lovely image!

My particular pet peeve is the messages sent by people who for some reason imagine that I want their every announcement as an attached file! And that I will forward their attachment to my entire list of contacts! I wish people would just put the info they want to communicate into the body of an email and invite people to ask them if their fancy attachment is wanted. Or alternatively load their announcement onto a website and put a link into their email so that people can down load an .doc or .pdf file if they want to?

I have often asked people to send the text of messages in the body of an email if they want me to forward it.... those who do this often see it as some kind of an intrusion to be asked for this. They can ask me for help to market their workshops, but they find it inconvenient to put the thing into a format that I can easily forward. Go figure....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: