discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

some ebay vendors have very strange shipping policies

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: some ebay vendors have very strange shipping policies Reply with quote

What is it about some ebay vendors Question Exclamation who have a boo! policy that they will not ship outside of the US boo!?

And I'm not talking about people are not selling plants or foodstuffs. I'm talking about the ones who are selling second-hand books. Just how hard is it to go down to the postoffice (or look online....) to find out how much the postage would be to Canada? Sheesh!

So much for free trade. la la la

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Cross Border Shipping Reply with quote

So, is this realted to the payment of duty taxes? I mean, is that why US vendors don't all ship out of the country?

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Border Shipping Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
So, is this realted to the payment of duty taxes? I mean, is that why US vendors don't all ship out of the country?

I wouldn't think so. All duties and taxes are always to be paid by the person receiving the goods. I've often shipped internationally to the U.S. and beyond. When sending shipments outside of Canada, I'm never asked to pay someone elses duty.

- DataRyder

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: some ebay vendors have very strange shipping policies Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
What is it about some ebay vendors Question Exclamation who have a boo! policy that they will not ship outside of the US boo!?

And I'm not talking about people are not selling plants or foodstuffs. I'm talking about the ones who are selling second-hand books. Just how hard is it to go down to the postoffice (or look online....) to find out how much the postage would be to Canada? Sheesh!

So much for free trade. la la la

I certainly don't like shipping things outside Canada -- nothing to do with ebay. It's just a big pain in the neck to have to treat things differently. These vendors probably feel that they have a big enough market in the US to go to the extra bother of figuring out foreign postage which usually involves a trip to the post office where you need to line up etc. With the local packages that are quite small (e.g. books), they can easily do the calculations and plop the packages into their mail boxes. Irritating for Canadians, who'd like to buy things from the US, I know.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: some ebay vendors have very strange shipping policies Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I'm talking about the ones who are selling second-hand books.

Another source of second hand books is Amazon (the "used and new" link is there for most books). (Of course, there's a similar problem with some vendors being unwilling to ship outside the U.S., but there's also more sellers of any given book, at least for the extremely small sample surveys I've done.)

Oh oh

la la la

oops, I forgot my name

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a couple of things from ebay vendors in the US without problems however I do usually look for local vendors first to minimise the shipping costs.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: some ebay vendors have very strange shipping policies Reply with quote

blm wrote:
Another source of second hand books is Amazon (the "used and new" link is there for most books).

I was using
http://www.bookfinder.com/

It lists the prices, along with several sites that are selling the books. The Amazon prices were on the high side in comparison to a couple of the ebay prices. (ones that would only ship within US)

I can't see that it would be THAT hard to figure out foreign postage. Nor would it be that hard to go to the post office. Perhaps some of the ebay vendors are afraid to go to the post office because they have been reading too many sensationalist news stories about postal worker violence.

Of course, we looked for local vendors first too. The shipping costs would have been slightly lower but the actual cost of the book was markedly higher.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: