discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

firefox - what's the scoop?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
MrsBrown wrote:
I use Explorer all the time. I tried Firefox for a while but I don't like it as well.

I have been trying to use firefox because of all the accolades on llizard's forum. However, I am not sure I like it. I am wondering it it's very slow to load things, but I'm not sure. What problems did you experience with firefox, Mrs. Brown?

CAM, I loved Firefox0.8. It was quick and clean. Then I made a boo! big boo! mistake. I installed Firefox1.0.1. I found it to be slow and that it caused major problems. It suddenly and inexplicably deleted my profile (the ONLY profile). I have removed it entirely and am now using Netscape7.1.

I just can't bring myself to use IE. I neeeeeeed tabbed browsing. stomp

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

CAM, I loved Firefox0.8. It was quick and clean. Then I made a boo! big boo! mistake. I installed Firefox1.0.1. I found it to be slow and that it caused major problems. It suddenly and inexplicably deleted my profile (the ONLY profile). I have removed it entirely and am now using Netscape7.1.

I have just installed Firefox 1.0.2 which promises improvements. So far it's hohoho much hohoho faster. I switched to IE from NS because -- why? I don't remember why. I switched to firefox because everyone was raving about it, and it isn't microsoft. So I'm willing to give 1.0.2 a try.

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I have just installed Firefox 1.0.2

I tried downloading 1.0.2. The "blank page" problem has not been cured, although it may be a bit faster than 1.0.1. Llizard, what's a "profile?" (as in firefox erased your profile) Happy Easter! Happy Easter! Happy Easter! at last!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
What problems did you experience with firefox, Mrs. Brown?

I can't remember what it was now since I use it very rarely. I think it was that I had to learn something new and I didn't have time. On one of the chatboards in which I participate, I couldn't figure out how to make it so that when I read an article, the subject line became a different colour and it was just too much trouble to figure it out. Oh yes, on llizard's forum, it wouldn't let me logout or maybe I had to login twice or something, I can't remember. at last! skip skip

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

Lawless in Lotusland wrote:
Llizard, what's a "profile?" (as in firefox erased your profile)

Firefox allows users to have more than one profiles. Read about it here:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Llizard, I discovered that the new version of Netscape 8.0 has tabbed browsing. I just downloaded it.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
Llizard, I discovered that the new version of Netscape 8.0 has tabbed browsing. I just downloaded it.

NS7.1 has tabbed browsing as well. I think it's only the stick-in-the-muds at IE that refuse to discover the wonders of tabbed browsing. stomp

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
CAM wrote:

NS7.1 has tabbed browsing as well. I think it's only the stick-in-the-muds at IE that refuse to discover the wonders of tabbed browsing. stomp

What is tabbed browsing and how do you use access its wonders? skip I just downloaded NS7.2 and since both NS7.1 and NS8.0 have it, I assume NS7.2 has it too. I decided not to download NS8.0 because it's a test version. I'm afraid of test versions, I don't know why. whoo hoo! at last!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
What is tabbed browsing and how do you use access its wonders?

Right click on a link and choose "open link in new tab". The link will open in the same browser. You can go back and forth easily between pages. I presently have six tabs open. skip

Once you have opened a tab, you may notice in the upper left area of your browser an image that looks like a pawn viewed from above. If you click on that, a new tab window will open to a blank page.

To do any customization of Tabbed browsing in Netscape, go to:
Edit Arrow Preferences Arrow Navigator Arrow Tabbed browsing Arrow

I'm also afraid of test versions. I'm even afraid of brand new versions, ever since my recent firefox fiasco. There are invariably bugs that haven't yet been noticed by the developers. I prefer not to be the guinea pig who is finding the bugs. la la la

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Right click on a link and choose "open link in new tab". The link will open in the same browser. You can go back and forth easily between pages. I presently have six tabs open. skip

Once you have opened a tab, you may notice in the upper left area of your browser an image that looks like a pawn viewed from above. If you click on that, a new tab window will open to a blank page.

Ah, now I see. Excellent! bravo!

How I wish I knew about this before. There have been so many times that I've wanted to go back 3 or 4 sites but still want the latest site open. Now I know. I probably won't go back to Explorer. at last! stomp at last! at last! at last!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

In Netscape 7.2 is there a way to have permanent tabs? In Firefox, I have several tabs that are there permanently because I visit them daily. In Netscape 7.2, I can't seem to keep the tabs there permanently. It is this feature that keeps me going back to Firefox.

I ditched Netscape Beta 8.0. Too difficult to use. Netscape 7.2 much easier.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
In Netscape 7.2 is there a way to have permanent tabs? In Firefox, I have several tabs that are there permanently because I visit them daily.

Oooh, permanent tabs?? I don't know whether that is available in NS7.2 Perhaps you could do something similar with the sidebar?

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/sidebar.jsp

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Oooh, permanent tabs?? I don't know whether that is available in NS7.2 Perhaps you could do something similar with the sidebar?

You didn't know about the permanent tabs feature in Firefox? Not the same as the sidebar -- may as well use bookmarks.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

You didn't know about the permanent tabs feature in Firefox?

I can see that they might be useful. I just use my bookmarks for frequently visited pages. (I never use the sidebar in NS7 anyway.)

I still haven't got the nerve up to upgrade Firefox from 0.7. I have to wait until the dust settles from the crash experienced after Firefox 1.0.1 fiasco not so long ago.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox - what's the scoop? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

In Netscape 7.2 is there a way to have permanent tabs? In Firefox, I have several tabs that are there permanently because I visit them daily. In Netscape 7.2, I can't seem to keep the tabs there permanently. It is this feature that keeps me going back to Firefox.

Permanent tabs? I can't find anything in the help about that.

I usually have two or three browswer windows, and sometimes I have tabs within them. I don't know how I choose between CTRL-N and CTRL-T when I want to save where I am and look up something else.

We've been happy with Firefox since we switched. I really like the toolbar bookmarks. stomp

I didn't know about the sidebar thing either. I found that one on the properties page for a bookmark ... not sure I would ever use it, though.

at last! at last!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: