discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

The Oysters of Little Island Paradise.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bramble
registered

Slogan:

Australians Wouldn't Give A Bramble For Anything Else.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: The Oysters of Little Island Paradise. Reply with quote

I spent the last two days on a beautiful (albeit stormy and cold) little Island off the east coast of my Big Island.
My companion and I made a beautiful meal consisting of baked oysters in a thai chili sauce and a szechuan sauce (respectively) and sautéed oysters in a tomato onion and garlic sauce.
Needless to say we picked and shucked the oysters ourselves off the beach.
It was delicious.
unfortunately the accompagning wine was only decent and not quite superb, but beggars can't be choosers!

HOWEVER, I still believe that my favourite shellfish are MUSSELS and not OYSTERS.

anythoughts on the subject ?

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Oysters of Little Island Paradise. Reply with quote

Bramble wrote:

HOWEVER, I still believe that my favourite shellfish are MUSSELS and not OYSTERS.

Yes, definitely mussels over oysters! And I'm quite fond of steamed clams as well. Although... baked oysters are quite delicious. I confess that I have not yet had the nerve to try raw oysters.

Bramble, can you be more specific about the thai chili sauce and a szechuan sauce? If they were really hot, it's not surprising to me that the wine was less than spectacular. It's so hard to choose a wine that goes with hot food. I often think sparkling works nicely though - blanquette de Limoux, if one can get it!

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Oysters of Little Island Paradise. Reply with quote

Bramble wrote:

Some people are thrown into raptures of joy when a dozen fresh *raw* oysters are placed in front of them. As much as I try, I'm unable to experience the same kind of happiness. I don't dislike them. That's not what I'm saying. I've often eaten them and experienced a certain pleasure. But truth be told, I don't really get it.

When it comes to cooking shellfish it's another matter. I love both clams and mussels. After a trip to Maine a few years ago where we discovered the joys of simple steamed clams dipped in melted butter, it's something we do here in Toronto with great success. In Maine they called them steamers.

Our Asian markets always have good clams available. For two of us we just steam up 2lbs of clams in about 1/2 inch of water for 3 or 4 minutes and were on our way. This is about as simple as it gets. A good crusty loaf, a good shot of melted butter, a glass of beer or wine to wash it down and it's not long before I see heaven in my rear view mirror.

Mussels too. Same way. Good stuff.

- DataRyder

Bramble
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a strong proponent of large bowls of steamed shellfish is delicious savoury broth.
THE SAUCES, we purchased in Medium-sized Mill Town at the supermarket. One was an asian family sezchuan sauce, very dark in flavour, went well with the richness of the oysters. The chili sauce was the standard hot (medium really) and salty chili sauce that comes in another bottle from the supermarket. I cant remember the brand.
What I've REALLY enjoyed in terms of steaming the shellfish, is using some chicken broth, with some nicely cooked veggies (tomato onion garlic, or perhaps conversely a lemongrass sauce) I've had both of these styles cooked for me in some of my favourite seafood places here. Though when I pick my own shellfish its usually in a place with less than extravagant kitchen arrangements. A beautiful beach on the West coast of my Big Island just BRISTLES with beautiful mussels. Its very nice if one has a hefty pot to put on the coals while camping in the mists.

As for Raw Oysters, we didnt have the gumption to eat any of ours without cooking. They were fresher than fresh, and since they come from the region where these little guys are shipped aroud the world, I'm sure would have been perfectly fine. In fact superb, but nevertheless the will was lacking.

No regrets.

I have however enjoyed this method of preparation several times, and found it to be quite enjoyable.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bramble wrote:
I am a strong proponent of large bowls of steamed shellfish is delicious savoury broth. ...
As for Raw Oysters, we didnt have the gumption to eat any of ours without cooking.

I used to eat raw oysters off the rocks in North Western Australia. However, with pollution around most big and even little islands nowadays, I think cooking is the safer way to go. See the following website to be reassured about the wisdom of your choice to cook 'em.

http://issc.org/EDU/pamplets/RISK_EATING_RAW_OYSTERS_CLAMS.html

See also http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/97vol23/dr2319ea.html

and http://www.eatwelleatsafe.ca/pathogens/vibrio.htm[/url]

Here's something the BC shellfisher producers have done -- has some interesting info in it: http://www.shellfishquality.ca/vibrio.htm#Growers

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Oysters of Little Island Paradise. Reply with quote

Bramble wrote:

I like most kinds of seafood whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

I really just said that so that I'd get a chance to use the new jumping fish emoticon... whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Oysters of Little Island Paradise. Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
Bramble wrote:

I like most kinds of seafood whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

I really just said that so that I'd get a chance to use the new jumping fish emoticon... whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

Yes, I like most kinds of seafood whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! but sadly, Oh oh they don't like me back. Shellfish doesn't like me a lot so I have to make do with swimming fish whoohoo! . Lately, we've been eating Basa fish--apparently a catfish relation found in Vietnam. We get frozen fillets and I've been experimenting with various methods of cooking it. I love cooking fish, it's so fast: chop some garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes, throw it in a pan, add the fish and hey presto whoohoo! dinner!

I better use the other animal emoticons in case they feel sad they're not being used stomp stomp skip skip la la la la la la whoo hoo! whoo hoo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Oysters of Little Island Paradise. Reply with quote

And what about a lizard? A bunny? A sparkling red ruby?

Bramble
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

i like them a lot.
While I was surfing a few weeks ago i saw little fishes just like these jumping from the water, straight through the face of a breaking wave. And then the eagle would swoop by low over the breaks. The fish didnt jump much after that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: