discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Strange drinking ritual

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Strange drinking ritual Reply with quote

I was visiting suppliers last week and at one point there was a delay whilst some equipment was being moved so I was shown into their works canteen. At another table I observed 4 women purchase hot chocolate from a vending machine and Twix Bars (chocolate covered finger biscuits) from another. They then proceeded to bite of a small piece from each end of the Twix and use it like a straw to drink the hot chocolate. Am I the last person to notice this phenomenon? (I usually am).
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange drinking ritual Reply with quote

David wrote:
Am I the last person to notice this phenomenon?

I hope so. I really don't want to see that. It kind of makes me carsick! la la la

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange drinking ritual Reply with quote

David wrote:
They then proceeded to bite of a small piece from each end of the Twix and use it like a straw to drink the hot chocolate.

That's just horrifying!!

edit: I forgot to say that I've never heard of such a thing before. I can't even begin to imagine how their fingers would be all sticky.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange drinking ritual Reply with quote

David wrote:
... I observed 4 women purchase hot chocolate from a vending machine and Twix Bars (chocolate covered finger biscuits) from another. They then proceeded to bite of a small piece from each end of the Twix and use it like a straw to drink the hot chocolate....

This actually sounds kind of fun to me. whoo hoo! la la la skip stomp Happy Easter! Happy Easter! Happy Easter! whoohoo!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Strange drinking ritual Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

This actually sounds kind of fun to me. whoo hoo! la la la skip stomp Happy Easter! Happy Easter! Happy Easter! whoohoo!

Hmmm, well... chacun a son gooooo whoo hoo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Strange drinking ritual Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
CAM wrote:

Hmmm, well... chacun a son gooooo whoo hoo!

Sounds like the kind of thing I would tell my kids not to do, but secretly would like to do it myself. Something like garden gnomes that of course I disapprove of... how tasteless. But there is something in me that wants to look at their little smiling faces and colourful vests. And little plaster animals, too. My Grandpa used to take me for walks in his neighbourhood where there were lots of immigrants, and he would let me stop and look at the brightly coloured garden ornaments in some of the yards. A great memory.

I don't know whether he would have allowed drinking through chocolate bars. He certainly allowed a lot of icecream of which my mother surely disapproved. I'd let my grandchildren drink hot chocolate through chocolate bars. Perhaps Aero bars would work, too.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: I'm siding with CAM Reply with quote

Twix are good; hot chocolate is good. They sound like a good (if messy) match. Of course, I've got to qualify this post by saying that at the age of 5 I would dunk several skorpor (roughly translated as Swedish Rusks) in my hot chocolate and pile them all on the saucer and then eat them with the spoon.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that at first reading I was horrified because I only thought of how messy your hands would be. I asked my son, who is 10, and he said "ewww!" and then his face brightened and he said, "no, cool! Wait, Twix bars aren't hollow. Can I try it?"

Perhaps what I found horrifying was the thought of hot chocolate from a vending machine. Brrr It also made me concerned for the health and well-being of the women doing this. la la la

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Perhaps what I found horrifying was the thought of hot chocolate from a vending machine.

I quite agree with the idea of being horrified by hot chocolate from a vending machine. Awful -- but drinking real hot chocolate through a chocolate bar "straw" really sounds quite nifty to me. If one was bothered by the idea of sticky hands, one could hold the chocolate bar with tongs. Better still one could stick a corn-holder into the side of it, and hold onto it while sipping.

It's not as bad as tattoos.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 04 May, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
drinking real hot chocolate through a chocolate bar "straw" really sounds quite nifty to me. If one was bothered by the idea of sticky hands, one could hold the chocolate bar with tongs.

I can see it now... a whole new trend. Women will be clammering to purchase their designer ceramic chocolate straw holders with embroidered monogrammed silk carrying cases. Handbags will have inner pockets exactly the right size for the chocolate straw holder cases. 'Wetnaps' will jump on the bandwagon and suggest that their product is perfect for cleaning the holders before putting them away in the cases.

(I still think it sounds revolting. Surely the twix gets mushy.)

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 04 May, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

(I still think it sounds revolting. Surely the twix gets mushy.)

Maybe that's the point. boo! Just like MEF with his deliberately soggy skorpor. (Ugh, rusks mushy enough to eat with a spoon. Double uggh.)

I like dunking but I only dunk a bit at a time so I can eat the dunkee before it gets even a bit soggy. But you can't drink your hot chocolate through just part of your twix. I confess I find this twix thing a bit creepy - I can see dipping the chocolate in the hot-chocolate to get it nice and melted, but melted AND soggy? Triple-ugggh.

boo! boo! boo!

Goldilocks
registered

Slogan:

Something Special In The Student

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds quite good. I agree that hot chocolate from a vending machine is not my cup of tea, but the twix bars in hot chocolate would be wonderful. I imagine that the twix bars would melt after about 5 second though. I think it would be best, however, with something minty, like maybe AfterEight chocolate rolls (which to my knowledge don't exist...but should.)

I say this speaking as a person that has on more that one occasion driken a can of coke through a piece of red licorice. I don't drink pop anymore though, so that now sounds revolting.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is revolting indeed, Goldilocks! I'm not wild about the After8 idea either.

Now I can imagine drinking the hot chocolate (homemade - not boo! vending machine hot chocolate boo! please) through a cinnamon stick. That might be quite interesting! whoohoo!

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason it brings to mind images of the practice of deep frying Twinkies or Mars Bars

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy wrote:
for some reason it brings to mind images of the practice of deep frying Twinkies or Mars Bars

I thought deep fried Mars Bars would be disgusting, but we tried it and they're actually quite wonderful. One Mars Bar makes about 4 servings (each piece dipped and deep fried separately); I can't imagine eating a whole one. la la la

Deep fried Twinkies? Yikes. Aren't Twinkies those soft cakes with the even softer filling? whoo hoo!

whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! hohoho hohoho at last! hohoho at last! hohoho Happy Easter! whoohoo! at last! hohoho

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: