discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Cleaning - the magic of steam

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Cleaning - the magic of steam Reply with quote

For many years there has been the term "steam cleaning". This referred to useless machines that used hot water and detergent to "clean" carpets (carpets are NEVER clean). I just bought a true steam cleaner that actually uses high pressure steam to clean any hard surface. http://www.sewserg.com/products/abp08859-0086.html

The product I bought simply sprays steam at about 65psi through a nozzel and loosens just about any grease, dirt , etc. you can name. It comes with a lot of attachments which I'm sure will prove handy. Still, the basic nozzle just cleaned all the grease off my bike, cleaned everything around our toilet, cleaned all the grease off the stove, cleaned all the tiles and grout on the kitchen floor and last, but not least, cleaned all the poop from our bird cage - all with only 1200ml of WATER!!!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning - the magic of steam Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I just bought a true steam cleaner that actually uses high pressure steam to clean any hard surface. http://www.sewserg.com/products/abp08859-0086.html

This sounds perfect for those who don't like cleaning. Wonder how it works inside the oven.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: I'll try it Reply with quote

Hey Cam, I'll try it!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Yup, it works! Reply with quote

If the oven is coated with grease from recent roastings or spills, these just blow off with nothing more than steam pressure. The stuff that has been baked on at high temeratures with many layers is going to require the brush and scouring pad attachments. So, if you blow the oven out after a big grease-o-rama , it works fine with just the nozzel. If you bake it on, it will take a bit more.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Bacteria Killing Reply with quote

One further note - since the steam is coming out at approx 100C, it will kill bacteria, again, without chemicals.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one of these things!! Do you think it can be used to steam clean clothing too?

How heavy is it, MEF?

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I want one of these things!!...

I NEED one of these things.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: weight Reply with quote

The whole machine weighs about 5 lbs. It comes with a shoulder strap and also a floor dolly. Although I haven't yet tried it on clothes, I'm sure it will be brilliant. I should mention that it does come with a built-in soap dispenser , a scraper attachment , a window squeege attachment plus a whole array of brushes and scouring pads.
I bought mine at Canadian Tire.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar device for a few years. I bought it originally to use the flat plate attachment so strip the ugly wallpaper from the walls of the house I'd just bought. I get the cleaning bug a couple of times a year and blast all the carpets in the house. It's especially suited to men as we love anything where we can pretend to be that guy with the huge gun shooting the jungle to bits in the movie Predator. I wish mine could be worn as a backpack as then I'd be one of the Ghostbusters. Who ya gonna call?
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning - the magic of steam Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I just bought a true steam cleaner that actually uses high pressure steam to clean any hard surface. http://www.sewserg.com/products/abp08859-0086.html

MrBrown wants to know if it will clean the sidewalk where we have weeds growing in the cracks and algae growing on the surface of the concrete. (BTW, the weeds in question are actually parsley. A few weeks, I sent the BrownBoy out to get parsley and all he could find was what was growing in the cracks.)

David wrote:
It's especially suited to men as we love anything where we can pretend to be that guy with the huge gun shooting the jungle to bits in the movie Predator.
This delight is not only for men, some women like to pretend to blow things to bits too, but we pretend we're Charlie's Angels stomp stomp and you can know that when I get one of these things and I blow the oven grease to bits, I'll be wearing my ridiculously high heeled boots and my very tight jeans and my hair and makeup will be perfection. whoo hoo!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: A better tool Reply with quote

For weeds in concrete this tool http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10419&cat=2,2300,44822&ap=1
from Lee Valley would be a lot better.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Just Gets Better Reply with quote

All the flooring in our apartment (with the exception of the bath&kitchen) is hardwood. Today we tried the floor cleaning attachment. It consists of a two sided towel like bag that fits on a set of spreaders with a steam nozzle inside. With the steam turned on, this hot cloth, at the end of a long handle, is simply pulled back and forth across the floor, and ALL dirt comes of onto the cloth. There is no soap or detergent to rinse and the floor is dry almost immediately. The cloth goes into the laundry for the next time. Is this brilliant or what!?
I think I'll set up a business selling his little machine door-to-door!!!!!

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEF
I think you should apply to replace that Canadian Tire guy in the commercials.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: