discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

West Wing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy
registered

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: West Wing Reply with quote

Any fans out here?
Any bets/insight as to who will win the election next "season"?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a fan since the start although my interest faded a little during the last series but that always happens with me. I would expect Bartlett to win the election based on my experience of ratings-hungry TV companies. It would be very couragous to have Bartlett lose and have to replace the entire White House staff with new people.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of "West Wing" but I'm hopelessly behind because I'm seeing it on rental DVDs rather than on TV. (I'm not even sure if we get current "West Wing"s on our TV....

It would be pretty courageous and unprecedented of an American-made series to replace everyone in the show... unless of course, the actors are in some sort of contract dispute and the producers are finding this to be a convenient way to dump them.

Sometimes I wonder if that is what happened with "The Practice". I know that they also changed the name of the series as well but still....

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if that is what happened with "The Practice". I know that they also changed the name of the series as well but still....

I watched "The Practice" in the first half-year. I found it descended into soap opera boo! very quickly and stopped watching it. What's the new show's name? (If all the characters change, and the show's name changes, how can you tell it's the same show?) Question

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David:
Spoiler (highlight to read):
But I thought Bartlett is out. He cannot run again. So are the writers going to let the Democrats or the Republicans win? My bet is Alan Alda as a Republican president will have more depth as a tv star.

Now for the sinister plot - Bartlett gets assassinated before the election - what would be the result?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan, too, and have been watching it regularly. The last several episodes have been extremely good.

I guess one advantage of the US system is that without some kind of coup followed by a constitutional change, they could not have the same president for more than two four-year terms.

It would be terribly sad if Bartlet were assassinated or died before the election. I guess the idiotic new vice president would become President until the election, but that would not change the date of the election or the presidential nominees, would it?

I can't see that a Democrat Jimmy Smits government could carry the series the way Alda could. However, it could work with Leo being given more prominence, I suppose. A Republican Alan Alda, even if very bipartisan in attitude, could not credibly retain more than one or two of the staff, except perhaps some of the more junior staff, like Donna. What would happen to my stellar favourites: CJ, Josh, Donna, and of course Toby. Unless... unless... a spin-off series were created that showed the parallel lives of those in the Democrat opposition in preparation for the next election after that!

They have created a wonderful cliff hanger! I can hardly wait to see what happens.

I was just thinking that Canadian politics looks like a soap opera.

-------------------------
added spoiler coding (tricky... I had to be careful not to read anything) We've only seen two seasons. -llizard

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
I watched "The Practice" in the first half-year. I found it descended into soap opera boo! very quickly and stopped watching it. What's the new show's name? (If all the characters change, and the show's name changes, how can you tell it's the same show?) Question

I think it's called "Boston Legal". And you're right, "The Practice" did become quite soap opera-ish. But for some reason, we stuck with it. In the last (not quite as disastrous as the penultimate) season of "The Practice", one of the main characters, played by the newly introduced James Spader, was frequently going to another firm to have meetings with a lawyer, played by William Shatner. Just in case someone is watching the series for the first time and is really into it, in the last season of "The Practice",
there were already some people suddenly gone from the picture. In the final episode of "The Practice", Spader's character was fired - or did he quit?? At any rate, he accepted a position at the other firm. Another partner, Eugene, became a judge. Another partner, Jimmy, opened up a firm in his neighbourhood. Another partner, Eleanor, went to a meeting at the "new" firm and slugged one of the lawyers into the wall, clearly seriously injuring her (my guess is that we're supposed to think that Eleanor is now in jail and/or lost her licence forever). My recollection is a little dim but I think the firm featured in "The Practice" dissolved because all the partners were suddenly engaged in other time consuming activities.
"Boston Legal", starring James Spader and William Shatner began the next season.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
"Boston Legal", starring James Spader and William Shatner began the next season.

And is it any good? Should we watch it? Currently, we watch "Blind Justice", a new program about a blind cop. We quite like it. We also like "Eyes" and we're just starting to watch "Numbers". at last! skip stomp la la la whoo hoo!

edit: I should have written "Numb3rs" as they do on the show.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: