discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

is it time to prepare for summer reading?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: is it time to prepare for summer reading? Reply with quote

It's been awfully quiet here lately except for the brief flurry over spaghetti frittata.

Is it time for Mrs. Brown's summer reading list to be posted?
whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! at last! at last!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: is it time to prepare for summer reading? Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
Is it time for Mrs. Brown's summer reading list to be posted?
whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! at last! at last!

Oh oh Such pressure!!

I haven't read as many excellent books this year as in previous years but here are the ones that I've given tick marks or stars in my reading list. The stars are the ones I particularly enjoyed. I'll put a
bravo! next to those ones.

Disordered Minds Minette Walters
bravo! Holy Fools Joanne Harris (or anything else by her)
bravo!Plainsong and Eventide Kent Haruf (recommended by MEF)
bravo!Resistance Anita Shreve
Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday Garth Nix (a children's series that's excellent--the BrownBoy and I are eagerly awaiting Drowned Wednesday)
Honk and Holler Opening Soon Billie Letts
The Patron Saint of Liars Anne Patchett (or anything else by her)
The Rapture of Canaan Sheri Reynolds
Just One Look Harlan Coben
Airborn Kenneth Oppel (a children's book)
Lives of the Saints Nino Ricci (but not the other 2 in the trilogy, they aren't as good)
Deafening Frances Itani
Shutter Island Dennis Lehane
The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini
bravo!The Lost Garden Helen Humphreys (recommended by blm)
The Ice Child Elizabeth McGregor
A Painted House John Grisham (a surprising book, completely unlike anything else of his I've read)

Hmm, I didn't realize the list was so extenisive. I guess I read more than I thought

Last edited by MrsBrown on Thu 26 May, 2005 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy
registered

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. B:

I am not know for being well read - unless we are speaking of Victor di Castri (Torrens Land Registration) or John Grisham ( -well you know who I did read Painted House and enjoyed it)

Are these books you suggest,
- good literature
- chick books
- bodice rippers
- action adventures
?
?
?

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy wrote:
Are these books you suggest,
- good literature
- chick books
- bodice rippers
- action adventures
?
?
?
Some of them might be classed as "chicklit", none of them would be classes as "bodice rippers"--not that I don't read bodice rippers, it's that they are guilty pleasures and I'm embarrassed to say that I read them (but never never never Danielle Steele) . Let me see if I can rework the list:
booklist from earlier post wrote:
Mystery/Thriller
Disordered Minds Minette Walters
Shutter Island Dennis Lehane---this one is particularly interesting. He also wrote Mystic River but I think Shutter Island is superior to that one.
Just One Look Harlan Coben

Literature
Holy Fools Joanne Harris
Plainsong and Eventide Kent Haruf
The Rapture of Canaan Sheri Reynolds
Lives of the Saints Nino Ricci
Deafening Frances Itani
The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini
A Painted House John Grisham

Children's books that are also good for adults to read
Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday Garth Nix
Airborn Kenneth Oppel

Chicklit but only the best sort, I'm not sure I understand what chicklit really is but these are the sort of books MrBrown would not read. I liked them a lot.
Resistance Anita Shreve
Honk and Holler Opening Soon Billie Letts
The Patron Saint of Liars Anne Patchett
The Lost Garden Helen Humphreys
The Ice Child Elizabeth McGregor

Is anyone else going to submit a list? MEF? how about you r list of excellent books?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I daren't look at a list of recommended books. Everytime a friend or family member tells me about a book they've just finished I ask to borrow it. I now have a pile of books next to my bed which is taller than I am. This has been my worst year ever for reading books as I've read only one a month.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Got to keep better track of reads! Reply with quote

I do keep all my library slips, but, with just a title, not all of them ring a bell. Maybe I'll check Amazon for details.

Just off the top, for now, here's a list of recommendations:

Wild Dogs by Helen Humphries - an amazing novel.

Bethlehem Road Murder by Batya Gur - this woman who is a literary crtitic for Ha'aretz and a former professor of lit at University of Jerusalem is at the top of the mystery genre. Read her previous 4 Michael Oheyan books.

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon - this American expat teaching in Italy is a close second in the mystery genre.

Drink the Sky by Lesley Kreuger - Toronto author of several great reads. This one set in Rio and the Amazon jungle.

Haweswater by Sarah Hall - complex novel about the flooding of a town in England behind a dam to supply water for Manchester.

The French Laundry Cookbook by Thomas Keller - master chef describes ultimate restaurant venture in calif - sumptuous ~p~or~n~.

Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell - superb mystery writer. This is one of the series featuring Kurt Wallender. All should be read.

War Trash by Ha Jin - novel tells the story of a Chinese soldier forced to fight in the pointless struggle over Korea. Ha Jin is a literary master despite his ESL.

All Times Have Been Modern by Elisabeth Harvour - really good novel.

Hey, I'll be back!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no other readers here? skip skip whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: A winner Reply with quote

I just finished a novel by Amitav Ghosh called The Hungry Tide; I highly recommend it. The novel is set in an amazing area called the Sundarbans; these are the thousands of islands in the archipelego of the Ganges as enters the Bay of Bengal. This is the first book I've read by Ghosh (oops, pun!) but not the last.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Wild Dogs by Helen Humphreys about an hour before you posted that it was an excellent book. I didn't like it as much as I liked The Lost Garden but agree that it was an amazing book which kind of says a lot about The Lost Garden. I'll certainly look for more books by her.

I just finished Chronicle of a Blood Merchant by Yu Hua. The following isn't really a spoiler but there is more information that the title and author. I won't say anything about the plot.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
It's rather an unsavoury story yet quite compelling. I don't know if I recommend it or not. There are things that I admire in it yet the story line is such that I find it distasteful. I read it for my book club which meets this Friday night. It has already caused some dissension among the members of the book club and we haven't even started discussing it yet!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: