discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

film: Rabbit-proof Fence

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: film: Rabbit-proof Fence Reply with quote

Speaking of child actors (see thread on "I am David") we saw Rabbit-proof Fence the other day. The children actors in that film were remarkable. It's a remarkable film. The kind of true-story film that one perhaps dreads watching, but thinks one ought to watch it. The story was wonderful. It's the kind of film to buy for one's libary. bravo! at last!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: What an ordeal! Reply with quote

I saw "Rabbit Proof Fence" some time ago and I agree that the child actors were amazing. The story about trying to
Spoiler (highlight to read):
white-a-fy Australian aboriginies is pretty grim. Very much like the Canadian efforts in the north with residential schools.Kenny was truly an evil dude in the movie.

edit: added the spoiler tag - llizard

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too saw "Rabbit Proof Fence" some time ago. It was indeed a remarkable movie. I'm not sure that I would want to see it over and over again though. It would make me too squirmy to know that our society feels the need to mould anyone who is different from us.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I too saw "Rabbit Proof Fence" some time ago. It was indeed a remarkable movie. I'm not sure that I would want to see it over and over again though. It would make me too squirmy to know that our society feels the need to mould anyone who is different from us.

Squirm indeed. And more than squirm. What was done in Australia and Canada was apparently acceptable to some at the time, but
Spoiler (highlight to read):
forceable removal of children from one group to another is way too close for comfort
to Article 2(3) of: http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/p_genoci.htm And we still tend to criticize Aboriginal people for the effects of the experiment.

Regarding watching over and over, I agree. Having in one's library would mean it would be possible to show it (or parts of it) in a classroom etc.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: