discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Gift Registries

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to use a gift registry?
Only for weddings....
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
never -- how tacky
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
I'd like to have a gift registry for birthdays and for general getting all year round, including at grocery and hardware stories
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
I really like the idea of the bank money deposit gift registry any time -- where can I sign up?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The bank deposit money gift registry is going too far even for weddings.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
For weddings, I prefer the Central European custom of passing the hat so that the couple gets great wads of cash.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Gift Registries Reply with quote

We noticed that there is a new way to give wedding gifts -- couples can register at a bank and have people deposit money.... hmm. See poll.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to check the answer "For weddings, I prefer the Central European custom of passing the hat so that the couple gets great wads of cash." as well as the second last answer "...going too far even for weddings".

I was horrified recently to hear on the radio that the average cost of a wedding in USA is $20,000! Exclamation Exclamation stomp What really frightens me is the fact that I know there are many many weddings that cost LESS than $20,000. What humungous sums are people paying to drive that average up so high? la la la

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit to being baffled as to why some people think that a wedding has to cost so much. All you need is a registrar, licence fee and two witnesses. Everything else is optional. A wedding needn't cost more than a week's groceries or even a round of drinks.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I have to admit to being baffled as to why some people think that a wedding has to cost so much. All you need is a registrar, licence fee and two witnesses. Everything else is optional. A wedding needn't cost more than a week's groceries or even a round of drinks.

Indeed. And such a wedding wouldn't be anywhere near as angst-ridden as the $20,000 ones.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

I guess it depends on how many people for whom you want to invite to the wedding to share the groceries and rounds of drinks! Me, I like parties....

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

I guess it depends on how many people for whom you want to invite to the wedding to share the groceries and rounds of drinks!

But $20,000 worth of groceries and rounds of drinks?? That seems just a little excessive.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
CAM wrote:

I guess it depends on how many people for whom you want to invite to the wedding to share the groceries and rounds of drinks!

But $20,000 worth of groceries and rounds of drinks?? That seems just a little excessive.

Yes, I don't know why people need to spend so much. It's a racket.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: