discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Stove Top Baking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Stove Top Baking Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Oct 7, 04 - 3:32 AM

Helloooo... alll! Just wanted to share that I did try a chiffon cake recipe, given when I bought an anodized frying pan with handle and glass cover that has an open/close vent. Was not too happy with the result, maybe because of too high heat, because I can't remember how the flame looked when he was demonstrating the procedure done (last year), but was sure glad the craving for home made cake was quenched, that Mr Michael noticed the cake crust on the mould in the sink! Will try the recipe again though!

bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stove Top Baking Reply with quote

originally posted by MEF on Oct 7, 04 - 9:20 AM

I saw this little discussion about stove to baking -
http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=3409

that you may want to read.

bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stove Top Baking Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Oct 7, 04 - 12:57 PM

MEF, thank you... so much on the topic to read and thought of a quick glance as we will be out in the field this weekend and wanted to see a few pointers... found out that the vent must be open... I closed it.. no wonder! Thanks again and will scrutinize the site before trying the next time... Again, many thanks and have a blessed day, one and all!

bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Stove Top Baking Reply with quote

originally posted by llizard on Oct 8, 04 - 8:26 AM
Related Website: http://etherwork.net/recipes/cake.html

WayneT posted at TopTastes forum that he had made our recipe for eggless chocolate cake in a wok using a bamboo steamer! He describes the method in detail with photos.

photos of method at:
http://www.toptastes.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001135

edit 9August2005: WayneT changed his name to BillBloggs. It looks like the photos have been deleted as well. -llizard

bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Stove Top Baking Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Oct 9, 04 - 8:02 PM

In case anyone is having trouble getting to the toptastes forum, here's a link to the cached page in google.

bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Stove Top Baking Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Oct 9, 04 - 8:05 PM

Wayne's wok cake looks just like an oven baked cake. I'm going to try that wok-baked chocolate cake (a 2-person amount) next time I make a dessert.

bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: It's BRILLIANT Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Oct 9, 04 - 10:32 PM

I had to try it, so I made a little cake tonight after supper. I made 1/3 of llizard's eggless chocolate cake, in my 5-inch cast iron frying pan. I used our large wok with a round wire trivet about an inch above the water level. We don't have any bamboo steamers, so I just left the pan open on the trivet. After about 45 minutes, it had baked BEAUTIFULLY. It was a tiny bit damp on top, but it dried immediately. It looked just like it had baked in the oven. After cooling for about half an hour, I iced it (I don't normally ice cakes, but this one just looked too beautiful not to). We just ate half of it, and it was fabulous. Not any better than baked in the oven; exactly the same, but I think there was much less heat generated.

Very very cool! Thanks for the tip, llizard.

bravenet_archive
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stove Top Baking Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Oct 13, 04 - 7:48 AM

Hellooooo...to all! After being away, found out that our computer was down and after servicing, we are back on track. Wow! Great news on the subject and llizard's cake recipe being successful. Will try it this weekend. Again, thank you very much, as you are all so kind and helpful. Have a blessed day! (Catching up on backlog correspondence from my elder daughter's family and friends from Qld).

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: It's BRILLIANT Reply with quote

blm wrote:

I had to try it, so I made a little cake tonight after supper. I made 1/3 of llizard's eggless chocolate cake, in my 5-inch cast iron frying pan. I used our large wok with a round wire trivet about an inch above the water level.

One of us (not me... I make bread, not cakes!) FINALLY tried this in the wok with a regular cake pan balanced precariously on the wok stand that was inserted into the wok. (Half recipe of eggless chocolate cake in an 8 inch cake pan) The wok was placed directly on the burner - only wobbling a little. The cake is brilliant. It came out a tiny bit lopsided but it really does work. Next time, we'll use the small 6 inch spring form pan that fits into our bamboo steamers.

To make up for the lopsidedness, we made chocolate icing with icing sugar, butter, cream cheese, cocoa, vanilla and salt.

Very very cool! Thanks, blm, for being the guinea pig and trying it first. bravo! It's the best. I bet it could even be done in a barbecue that way! Of course, now it's too cold here to try that. I hope we remember next summer. skip

edit: J Michael, did it work out well for you too? I hope so!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: