discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

A really good movie
Go to page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

Watching this movie is obviously sine qua non. Interestingly, it has been given a 15 classification in the UK but without having seen the movie yet, wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy? and a 6 year old dog who likes to watch movies...

It was on in the airplane, so I thought I'd try it again given the acclaim. It is a very interesting and well-crafted movie. I've already said I loved the satire on beauty pageants and this was even better the second time. There is some excellent physical comedy that kids would like. However, I do not think this movie is worth all the hype it's getting. I'm responding this because I'm up in the middle of the night (jetlag) and responding to the question about whether it's suitable for children, including children of 12:

I'd let the dog watch it for sure. But where humans are concerned it's definitely an adult movie. It's not a kids' movie or even a "family movie" unless the family are all in late teens or older. And recommending for family watching for entertainment value alone, I am not so sure (even though it is reasonably entertaining and funny in some parts). It depends on what messages you want for your kids. It's a movie with a lot of fairly subtle social commentary and satire, which can often be a bit lost on kids. I'd say some 16 year olds might get some of the layers if they had been exposed to a fair bit of social commentary in their family lives. In my view, a lot would be lost on a 12 year old, no matter how worldly wise. If the 12 year old does watch it, ensure you watch with him. And I'd certainly go ahead if you feel like having some family discussion about:
Spoiler (highlight to read):

• -what grandpa is doing in his bedroom when he is snorting heroin and later explains that is it okay for old people but not for kids;
  • -what you think of grandpa's philosophy about whether it's a good idea of not to (as the airline version says) "make sure you 'jump' a lot of women... not just one or two.. a lot of women" -- the regular video version does not use the euphemism.
  • -what you think of children dressing up as beauty queens, and why is the final scene so terribly biting as social commentary. If people don't find the last scenes to be absolutely scathing social commentary, they don't get the movie.
  • -what you think of the ideology of "winners and losers" wonderfully portrayed and critiqued in the film

The movie is wonderful in its portrayal of family solidarity, mutual care and unconditional acceptance. But it is far more about social desconstruction than it is about providing any inspiration or anything by way of deep moral foundation.

But, aye, chacon a son gout. Hasta luego.

Last edited by CAM on Wed 07 Feb, 2007 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy?

CAM wrote:

I do not think this movie is worth all the hype it's getting.
[...]
If the 12 year old does watch it, ensure you watch with him. And I'd certainly go ahead if you feel like having some family discussion [...]

The thing about this movie that I find particularly refreshing is that it is finally a movie out of Hollywood that is not full of pretty-looking one-dimensional people. Instead we see sympathetic many dimensional characters played by regular looking folk.

And I think it most definitely is worth the hype it's getting if for the following reason alone:

CAM wrote:

The movie is wonderful in its portrayal of family solidarity, mutual care and unconditional acceptance. But it is far more about social desconstruction than it is about providing any inspiration or anythy by way of deep moral foundation.

As for whether it's appropriate for a 12 year old... again, having not noted what rating was officially assigned, I would put PG (which I take to mean "parental guidance") on it. If my 12 year old child (if I had a 12 year old child) wanted to see a movie that had that label, I would say fine, as long as one or both parents were watching the movie too.

However, I see that the official rating from rotten tomatoes is R.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/little_miss_sunshine/

Incidentally, I'd definitely see this movie again....

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
Incidentally, I'd definitely see this movie again....

And I did have another look. Last night. And right from the beginning I was hooked again.

The first character we see;

Scene: Large auditorium: Greg Kinear- Motivational speaker:
Giving an impassioned lecture about not being a looser.... to about six people.

There's so much more here than snorting heroin, [jumping] women and social deconstruction.

What I loved about this movie was that no matter; how dysfunctional each of these might characters might be; for all of their many imperfections and horridness each contributes something that makes the other more whole.

I can't sit in front of this movie and pull it apart frame for frame, twice now I've been too involved in the story to do that. But here's one small part that I flipped back to in order to get the dialogue. Sure the grandfather's a drug addict but that's not really who he is.

Scene: The young granddaughter is off to a beauty pageant. She's feeling vulnerable and unattractive. The grandfather says to her,

".... No, I'm not just saying that. I'm madly in love with you. And it's *not* because of your brains or your personality, it's because you're beautiful, inside and out..."

What results is a look of pure radiant joy on the granddaughters face.

I haven't seen many of the other movies in the category but it wouldn't surprise me to see this movie win best screenplay at this years Oscar's.

Dataryder

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:

I haven't seen many of the other movies in the category but it wouldn't surprise me to see this movie win best screenplay at this years Oscar's.

Dataryder

I think you're right. It won't win Best Movie though--it's a great movie but not a best movie. I watched it this afternoon by myself--MrBrown and the BrownBoy are out gallivanting--and laughed out loud several times. The Dog thought there was something wrong so she came to check that I was ok; she didn't enjoy the movie--no dogs. MrBrown would enjoy it but the BrownBoy would not get many things, as CAM suggested. The beauty pageant was phenomenal--do they really exist for children?

The little girl was wonderful as was the teenage boy. Everyone was great in this movie. I'm glad I saw it. Thanks for the recommendation. oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
The beauty pageant was phenomenal--do they really exist for children?

Yes, alas, these pageants do exist. See a Canadian one: http://www.allcanadianpageants.com/ and here is another site http://www.universalroyalty.com/

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

I watched this movie with one of my sons (age 14) on TV Links this evening and we both enjoyed it. As the the closing credits rolled we both had smiles on our faces. I wasn't in the slightest bit concerned about the language as I know that everyone in the state school system hears much worse every day from at least age 11. The only thing that did shock him was the actual child beauty pageant. He was shocked that such things really happen. I explained that the parents weren't necessarily sick as he suggested, they could just be stupid.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: