discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

"Corn Syrup" - what is it?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: "Corn Syrup" - what is it? Reply with quote

Recently I decided to replace our decade old bottle of corn syrup. When I read the list of ingredients and found that the second ingredient was glucose-fructose (after glucose) I decided to investigate a bit further. The original stuff is fairly simple to understand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_syrup. But the glucose-fructose ingredient is a bit more complicated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup. I had no idea that HFCS has become an such a ubiquitous ingredient in so many processed "foods". HFCS is not a swell way of ingesting calories.
It seems that for sweetness, sugar is a much better product.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a documentary recently that showed strong links between high fructose corn syrup and obesity and diabetes. This cheap sugar replacement is what Pepsi and Coke etc. changed over to. The web is full of sites warning of the dangers of HFCS. Some people suggest that it it the major contributor to the "obesity epidemic" we are seeing.
meow
registered

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt the normal refined sugar weve had for ages also much to blame for the same sort of things ?

im not sure what the difference is with artificial sweetners, exept for the absence of callories, but it has been said "There have been more complaints to the FDA about aspartame than all other food" but then you hear so much stuff banded about like that which turns out to be bogus ...

I was in a discusion about cheese the other day and someone proudly stated american cheese was better than all these processed cheeses, until someone explained what american cheese was. i looked it up on wiki its highly processed cheese. stomp

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meow wrote:
isnt the normal refined sugar weve had for ages also much to blame for the same sort of things ?

im not sure what the difference is with artificial sweetners, exept for the absence of callories, but it has been said "There have been more complaints to the FDA about aspartame than all other food"

I've always been under the impression that refined sugar wasn't much better than fructose too. And brown sugar isn't much better - apparently that is refined white sugar with molasses re-introduced to make it brown.

Some people say to use only unpasteurized honey and/or fruits for sweetening. However, I prefer to take Mark Twain's (or was it Benjamin Franklin's?) advice

Quote:
Moderation in all things, including moderation

Everything, that is, EXCEPT artificial sweeteners. Those I can do without entirely. They taste awful.

David wrote:
I watched a documentary recently that showed strong links between high fructose corn syrup and obesity and diabetes. This cheap sugar replacement is what Pepsi and Coke etc. changed over to. The web is full of sites warning of the dangers of HFCS. Some people suggest that it it the major contributor to the "obesity epidemic" we are seeing.

Isn't it likely that sedentary lifestyle (sitting at the computer or in front of the TV all day), eating ready-made or fast food, drinking Pepsi and Coke rather than fruit juice or water are the real contributors to the "obesity epidemic" we are seeing?

Once again: moderation!

(I know a fellow who was so fanatically concerned about having high cholestrol that he over-exercised and extreme-dieted himself into bordering on malnutrition because he had cut out all fat from his diet.)

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
Isn't it likely that sedentary lifestyle (sitting at the computer or in front of the TV all day), eating ready-made or fast food, drinking Pepsi and Coke rather than fruit juice or water are the real contributors to the "obesity epidemic" we are seeing?

Definitely.
Regular exercise, balanced diet and a sensible work/life balance seem to be the common elements of healthy people everywhere.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: