discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Books online - seriously!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Books online - seriously! Reply with quote

I've heard of the Google project to digitize all books. So far, it has only been an interesting news story. Today, however, I see the project a bit differently. Among the books that I borrowed from the library this morning is "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers. I googled the title to find out more about both the author and the book.
To my surprise, I found that the first entry is THE ENTIRE BOOK! Like , wow! All I need now is a light laptop, and I can read this book in comfort without going to the library!

books.google.ca "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Well, maybe not the entire book Reply with quote

I overstated the case for google books. It provides partial versions of books - you still have to go to the library to read the entire work. http://books.google.ca/googlebooks/newsviews/issue.html

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, maybe not the entire book Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I overstated the case for google books. It provides partial versions of books - you still have to go to the library to read the entire work. http://books.google.ca/googlebooks/newsviews/issue.html

I must say I'm kind of relieved. I was thinking that authors might not be too thrilled about losing their royalties with having their complete books online.

But it's still useful to be able to read the first few pages to see if you want to buy and/or borrow the book from the library.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: