discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Saturday Lunch

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Saturday Lunch Reply with quote

I found half a Napa cabbage in the bottom of the vegetable bin and thought of coleslaw. I searched my go-to site only to find no recipes for coleslaw. I read several on the internet but most of them use a lot of mayonnaise. So, I made up my own!

I slicedthe cabbage thinly, added 2 grated carrots, 2 finely chopped green onions, 1 thinly sliced red pepper. For the dressing, I whisked together some Dijon mustard, some white wine vinegar, a little hot sauce and some sesame oil. I poured that over the vegetables and then added some olive oil and some salt and pepper. Fabulous! I ate some along with a piece of toast lightly spread with mayonnaise and half an avocado. The others in the house said, "no, I'm not hungry" when I offered it so there's plenty left for tomorrow's lunch! stomp stomp skip

What did you have for lunch?

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday Lunch Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I found half a Napa cabbage in the bottom of the vegetable bin and thought of coleslaw. I searched my go-to site only to find no recipes for coleslaw. I read several on the internet but most of them use a lot of mayonnaise. So, I made up my own!

Mmmmm!! I love coleslaw. Both kinds - creamy and not creamy. Yours sounds fantastic, MrsBrown - very similar to the beet salad I make.

And I keep meaning to try this red cabbage and apples dish too:
http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/recipe11518.shtml

MrsBrown wrote:

Not nearly as healthy as your lunch: grilled cheese and ham sandwiches... mmmmmmm.

(And I made granola! Whoohoo! Is it time for breakfast yet?)

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday Lunch Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

I had cole slaw too! Or at least, cabbage salad. "Ordinary" cabbage sliced very thin, a grated carrot ("grated" with the peeler), dressing made of green onion chopped fine, lemon, red wine vinegar, honey, and olive oil. With a bit of chicken and some crispbread broken in.

I also had a bit of leftover rice pilaf that I found in the freezer. Pine nuts, chili flakes, and threads of caramelized onion and carrot.

Somehow I only think of "cole slaw" as the kind that has been marinating for a couple of days in a slightly sweet vinaigrette. I've never been able to make cole slaw that's as good as the kind I can get at the Pickle Barrel (a local chain that's got a bit upscale recently, but still makes the same cole slaw as ever, and still sells it from a little outlet beside the restaurant).

Mmmm, cole slaw. la la la

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: coleslaw Reply with quote

After reading this thread, I decided that it was about time to try making coleslaw (vinaigrette kind). I tried the most basic kind with only white cabbage, carrot, and red onion. The dressing was cider vinegar/oil at 1:2 with honey and salt. It was bland. I decided that aging was in order. 6 hours made a huge difference; after 24 hrs. it's really good! Lesson: coleslaw is like stew - ok at first, best the next day!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Fianal lesson Reply with quote

Not to belabour the coleslaw business, but, on a final note, it has been interesting to see that aging for a day or so is needed, but that any further (say 3 days) the slaw heads downhill! Ain't experimental science wonderful!

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fianal lesson Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
it has been interesting to see that aging for a day or so is needed, but that any further (say 3 days) the slaw heads downhill!

Cabbage does have that way about it, doesn't it? But this is interesting because it seems like if you are storing vinaigrette-style coleslaw for 3 days, it would be heading in the direction of sauerkraut.

Just curious, did you cover your aging cole slaw, MEF?

Whenever we buy sauerkraut (for faux Reuben sandwiches) from our local Polish deli, it can be pretty stinky when we get it home and take it out of the plastic bag - but if we store it UNcovered in the fridge, the pong lessens and is not quite so horrible.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Final coleslaw Reply with quote

I found a way to make coleslaw that works for me. It's the one used by Alice Water http://kitchenparade.com/2004/05/alice-waters-coleslaw.php
My only change was to salt the cabbage for 3 hrs in a colander and let water drain out (rinse before using).

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Final coleslaw Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
My only change was to salt the cabbage for 3 hrs in a colander and let water drain out (rinse before using).

and that doesn't make the cabbage soft? Whenever we do this method with spinach, it basically "cooks" the spinach.

And do you cover leftover slaw once it's made or do you only make enough for one sitting?

(I'm a firm believer in leaving cole slaw UNcovered in the fridge.)

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: salting Reply with quote

No, the salting didn't make the cabbage limp at all; certainly removed lots of water. As our fridge is constantly dehydrating everything in it (hence frost free) nothing can be stored uncovered.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: