discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

How much is too much?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: How much is too much? Reply with quote

I was watching Paula Deen's cooking show today--it's like watching a snake, you just can't look away. She made Deep Fried Macaroni and Cheese. What disturbed me most was that she only cooked it in the hot oil for about 3 minutes. Is that long enough to cook the bacon? Is it long enough to make it the macaroni hot? She said at the outset that she had never done it before--now there's a good idea: try something brand new that might not work on international television. As she took a bite, she kind of grimaced and, I think, lied through her teeth saying how delicious it was. How is that woman still alive? Her arteries must be the size of a thread! Not only is the macaroni and cheese deep fried but it's made with butter and sour cream and you can bet your boots that she didn't use low-fat sour cream. So, really, how much is too much? and would YOU try this? la la la

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: How much is too much? Reply with quote

That's scary.

The picture looks awful. I don't think they should have sliced a cross section like that. Or maybe they should indeed have made it look horrible so that nobody will try it.

I can't get the grimace off my face skip

But wait, there's more. She has a deep fried butter recipe. I'm never going to get my face back to normal now.

There's a link to the deep fried butter recipe from this "Paula Deen Is Trying to Kill Us" article on Serious Eats.

seriouseats.com: Paula Deen Is Trying to Kill Us 2: Bacon-Wrapped Fried Mac

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some of the comments about the deep fried butter recipe. My favourite was the suggestion to unleash Anthony Bourdain on her.

I have to say that I LIKE butter but the idea of deep frying it horrifies me. I also like macaroni and cheese with bacon but I like to COOK the bacon before I eat it. Perhaps it's deep frying that horrifies me. (Where is the musing animal?) No, that's not it, it's the idea of deep frying something that's already full of fat...I think Paula Deen will probably expire of a heart attack as she's waddling to the bank with her fat-gotten gains. la la la

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I was watching Paula Deen's cooking show today--it's like watching a snake, you just can't look away.

Indeed. I'm constantly amazed at the sizes of the bowls she serves to herself. She made trifle the other day and I swear the bowl she used for her "just a taste, y'all" was the size of a serving bowl I'd use for a family of six.

MrsBrown wrote:
She made Deep Fried Macaroni and Cheese.

Deep fried macaroni and cheese?! Deep fried Question Exclamation Eeewwwwwww!! I suppose she laughed that horrible laugh of hers too when she tried it?

I like the idea of a little bacon to garnish macaroni and cheese too. But it would HAVE to be cooked first!

Oh oh oh!! I just looked at the recipe! There are Oh oh eggs Oh oh in the macaroni and cheese!! How revolting is that? I can just imagine how guppy it is. And if it got overcooked a bit, how dead tasting it would become.

blm wrote:
But wait, there's more. She has a deep fried butter recipe.

Please stop making me spit on the screen! stomp

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a restaurant last week I ate deep fried brie as a starter - heaven. But deep fried butter sounds horrible. However, I've never eaten deep fried butter before and I have a compulsion to try new things. I'm sure it can't be a good idea, but still...
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, deep-fried brie sounds pretty good. And I love baked brie, especially when it's in pastry. One of my colleagues had the Winterlicious menu at the Old Mill and chose "Almond Crusted Canadian Brie with Dried Fruit Chutney, Apple Salad, Maple-Shallot Vinaigrette". She said it was fabulous. She thought that the brie had been fried.

David wrote:
However, I've never eaten deep fried butter before and I have a compulsion to try new things. I'm sure it can't be a good idea, but still...

No, David, No!! (Someone stop the man before his arteries do it for him!)

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is too much? Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I was watching Paula Deen's cooking show today--it's like watching a snake, you just can't look away.

I recommend a boycott of the program. Wouldn't want to become addicted to watching snakes.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the holiday Monday, I was lazing (sleeping) in front of the TV and I woke up three quarters of the way through Paula Deen's show--she woke me up with her horrible giggle. She was doing a show on using the deep fryer--like she NEEDS to add more fat into her diet. She made hush puppies that didn't look horrible and then she made deep fried cheese cake. I ask you, is that necessary? To her credit, she used a smallish slice of cheesecake, sprinkled it with chocolate shavings, wrapped the slice in a large wonton wrapper and deep fried it. She cut it in half and poured chocolate sauce all over it.

Why do I continue to watch her show? la la la la la la la la la

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SAW that too!! Why on earth would ANYONE deepfry cheesecake? And did you see that she rolled it in powdered sugar before taking a big bite?!

MrsBrown wrote:

Why do I continue to watch her show? la la la la la la la la la

I had vowed never ever to watch Paula Deen again. But our brand new DVD player is already in the shop because of a bug.* Which means we can't watch pre-recorded shows.

I only saw the deepfried cheesecake portion of the show. And then I managed to pick up my jaw, unfreeze myself from the horrified fascination to change the channel to the weather network. The weather network music** is so soothing after Paula's cackle. (Before I changed the channel, I noted that something very frightening had happened to her hair. I think the TVhairdresser might have used a vacuum cleaner to poof it up at the top...)

*At least the stupid machine is still under warrantee so we don't have to pay. Although... the shop is taking their sweet time to diagnose the problem. Maybe they're waiting til it's OUT of warrantee so they can charge us for the fix.

** Don't get me started about the inadequacies of the weather network. Or the music. I mean really. Did someone actually get paid to compose that? And then had the audacity to recor... oh yeah, right... I did say, "Don't get me started", didn't I?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: