discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Rotator Cuff

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Rotator Cuff Reply with quote

This posting may not make it past the rules, as it does not fit any of the listed categories; but what the heck - has anyone here had experience with torn rotator cuff? Treatment, therapies, surgery, etc.
Yes, I've torn mine.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owww!!!!

I'm sympathically in pain just thinking about the idea of a torn rotator cuff!! Actually, I may be in pain because I might have a torn rotator cuff as well... I just looked at the symptoms on about.com: Torn Rotator Cuff and oh oh... Oh oh (This is NOT a Three Men in a Boat kind of thing. I wish it was!)

about.com:Torn Rotator Cuff wrote:

Doctors usually recommend that patients with a rotator cuff injury rest the shoulder, apply heat or cold to the sore area, and take medicine to relieve pain and inflammation. Other treatments might be added, such as electrical stimulation of muscles and nerves, ultrasound, or a cortisone injection near the inflamed area of the rotator cuff. The patient may need to wear a sling for a few days.

The final treatment sounds vaguely familiar. I think one of my violinist friends had surgery done to his shoulder about 15 years ago. I'll ask him if he has any recommendations for what he did to strengthen his shoulder once the sling came off. As far as I know, he has not had a recurrence.

wikipedia: rotator cuff has some strengthening exercises (I don't think I'd do those without the advice of a medical professional though, when there is an injury involved). And surgery? I hope not!!! Anything to avoid that!

MEF wrote:

This posting may not make it past the rules, as it does not fit any of the listed categories

I don't know... "anything and everything" seems to fit pretty well.

Last edited by ejm on Fri 04 Jul, 2008 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Tendon injuries are awful. They take so long to heal and even then they are often a weak spot, prone to re-injury. I've had a few minor tendon injuries and I found that the fastest way for the tendon to heal was resting it but this meant that the muscles and joint didn't get much use either which meant even less support to the damaged tendon. You have my sympathies MEF.
Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotator Cuff Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
This posting may not make it past the rules... has anyone here had experience with torn rotator cuff?

OUCH! Oh oh My condolences. I have no idea what this is, but it sounds nasty. I hope it heals up with rest... and that you can rest it!

Regarding the rules... I'm really pleased your post made it past the screening! oh boy!

BTW, ejm's interpretation demonstrates that laws, rules, regulations, etc. can bear just about any interpretation adjudicators want to apply to get the result they want. I also note that ejm appeals to the rules even though she could just as easily use her absolute discretion to allow or not without any kind of appeal! whoo hoo!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: False Alarm Reply with quote

I posted this too early. Ultrasound reveals a bunch of damage to my shoulder, but no tear in the rotator cuff. So, I have mere tendinosis. Still hurts, though! Orthopedic advice next month. Thanks for your kindness and support.

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: False Alarm Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
So, I have mere tendinosis. Still hurts, though! Orthopedic advice next month. Thanks for your kindness and support.

Ow! I wondered whether the sore shoulder I had for months and months was tendinosis (instead of just a "sore shoulder"), so I looked it up and found out the following: http://www.sosmed.org/pdffiles/patientguides/PatGuideCuffTendinosis.pdf.

Lots of good suggestions there.

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: False Alarm Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
no tear in the rotator cuff. So, I have mere tendinosis.

How's the shoulder?

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Shoulder Reply with quote

Thanks for asking LiL; it's painful but I now have almost full movement.
Hope to get prognosis at Aug 19 orthopedic appointment.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: