discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Ubuntu operating system

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu operating system Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about http://www.ubuntu.com/?

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Sounds very cool Reply with quote

Until your posting, I'd never heard of this linux based operating system.
After reading several reviews like http://www.pcworld.com/article/120520/free_agent_ubuntu_linux_free_and_fabulous.html
I've become quite excited to try it. It's totally free and even offers free support. It sounds like a cool alternative to Windows. Like you, LiL , I'd also like to hear more from any users,

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I downloaded and burnt a Ubuntu distribution and ran it as a bootable live cd (no need to install). I was impressed that it could identify all my hardware and load the correct drivers automatically. It even identified my cable modem and set up the internet connection with me needed to type in anything. It ran a little slowly but I expected that as everything had to be loaded into RAM. I've also tried Knoppix which, you may know, is another live Linux CD. Knoppix was faster for me but Ubuntu was prettier. I think a fair comparison would need a hard disk installation. From both Linux systems I was able to access the files on my hard disk and the Linux software included allowed me to open the Windows documents, pictures, music, movies etc. One of these bootable CDs would allow one to gain access to a non-booting Windows box or allow the unscrupulous to bypass the feeble Windows security. I've been promising myself to go microsoft-free for about 5 years but I've never quite had the guts to go for it.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Microsoft free environment Reply with quote

David, does the desire to have a microsoft free environment stem from wanting to have better functionality or wanting to pay less (or nothing for the OS and apps or simply from the dislike of the microsoft monopoly??

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jul, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desire to be Microsoft-free derives from the dislike of their products. I used a mac for a while and got used to an attractive and reliable computing system. Going back to Windows felt like using something made for preschoolers. The ugly, angular, clunky menu boxes and constant "Are you sure?" messages felt so second rate. If all people have ever used is Windows they don't realise that if an application crashes, the operating system shouldn't also crash. I probably won't go down the mac route because the Linux systems are far more tweakable and I am a born tweaker.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: