discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Defragmentation?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Defragmentation? Reply with quote

Hey, boss, with every post you urge us to defrag. I can see this being important if you are trying to squeeze every drop of performance from your hard drive. With current drives having near infinite capacity, maybe you should have a different "call to action" ? My last defrag told me that I've still got 75% of the disc's capacity to use before things get crowded. I just cannot see defragging as the issue it once was.
Respectfully yours.
MEF

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Defragmentation? Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
My last defrag told me that I've still got 75% of the disc's capacity to use before things get crowded. I just cannot see defragging as the issue it once was.

All I know is that when I defrag regularly, the computer runs more a little more quickly and efficiently. Regularly defragging, clearing the browser cache and emptying the "recycle" bin (as if what's in there gets recycled; wouldn't it be better to call it the "nuke" bin?) works for me...

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When files are created, deleted, or modified they become fragmented. Fragmented simply means the file is not stored in one place in its entirety. Different parts of the file are scattered across the hard disk in noncontiguous pieces. The more fragmented files there are on a drive, the harder the computer has to work to search for all the pieces in different locations.

Defrag reorganizes noncontiguous files into contiguous files and optimizes their placement on the hard drive.

For my part, after a defrag I notice my computer works more smoothly.

Dataryder

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:
...For my part, after a defrag I notice my computer works more smoothly...

thanks EJM and DataRyder, I defragged and deleted temporary files and cache, and it's made quite a bit of difference. And thanks MEF for calling attention to this.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defragmenting used to be a monthly necessity for me with the computers I used in the 1980s and 1990s. The performance improvement was usually huge. In the last five years I have been increasing the intervals between defragmenting in response to less noticeable improvements in performance. It now almost an annual task on our computers and even then the improvements are nothing like they used to be. Part of this might be the huge hard disk space available but I suspect that our the practice of using a separate partition or disk for data storage and leaving the operating system and programs on another is a major factor.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: