discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Biodegradable Garbage Bags

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Biodegradable Garbage Bags Reply with quote

In my work as a planner I had occasion to visit developments on former land fill sites. It was always shocking to see the buried materials that would never degrade. By far the most prevalent material was plastic garbage bags. Their life span seems infinite. It was therefore exciting to see biodegradeable bags for sale at our local supermarket. Of course nothing new like this comes without a price. These 35 litre bags were selling for $0.79 CAD each. Still, a substitute for the regular oil-based plastic bags are now available. It's up to individual consumers to decide what the future is worth to them.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Biodegradable Garbage Bags Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
It's up to individual consumers to decide what the future is worth to them.

We've just been reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan and are quite disturbed by the section on corn. Even more disturbing is the fact that so many farmers are opting to grow corn for fuel rather than food. I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that the biodegradable bags are made from "fuel" corn.

Granted, they are a better alternative to petrol-oil based plastic but still....

We have recently started wrapping our wet garbage in newspaper. We're amazed at how much the wet garbage does NOT stink. Even though we've just gone through a heat wave.

I fully realize that paper isn't necessarily a good alternative either, considering that trees, while renewable, take a considerable time to grow. But if we're recycling our paper anyway, using a few sheets to wrap wet garbage doesn't seem like a bad thing. The newprint will break down into compost, especially because it's being helped along by being quite wet by the time the garbage collectors retrieve it from our green box.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: You are right Reply with quote

I guess in making choices between less than perfect solutions, we should look to the one that does least harm. Growing corn for non food purposes may not be the best idea; growing trees for paper production may be a better idea; making trees into paper is a pretty messy business tho' - lots of water pollution necessary.

All hard choices.

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: You are right Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
...hard choices.

I learned that some of the compostable plastic bags are plastic with an additive that causes them to break down into C02, H20 and "biomass"

See http://www.epi-global.com/en/products/biodegradable.htm

But it's pretty clear that deforestation is a bit problem, particularly in low latitude places. https://publicaffairs.llnl.gov/news/news_releases/2006/NR-06-12-02.html

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Austrians have the right idea. They have a massive forestry industry but thanks to a law that requires two trees to be planted for every one felled they have more trees now than 200 years ago.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Solution for All re-newable resources Reply with quote

Those clever Austrians - why not a global law that requires replacing two of every one re-newable resource that you harvest (e.g. two fingerlings for every fish that you harvest) ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: