discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Olympics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Olympics Reply with quote

I've been watching much of the Olympics. This morning's wonderful game of baseball where Cuba beat Canada by one point was great. I felt a little sad that Canada didn't win the game but it was such a good ball game. It was a much better ball game than the major league game I saw in San Francisco last month.

The bronze medal refused by the Swedish wrestler concerns me. I was a little surprised by what I perceived to be poor sportsmanship but then I watched a boxing match where one boxer was clearly favoured by the judges and was given points that he didn't deserve (according to the Canadian commentators who had no stake in the match between the Dominican Republic and Ireland). Was this the case with the Swedish wrestler? is he right in claiming that "it's all politics?"

edit: I have to clarify. The Swedish wrestler showed very poor sportsmanship even if the judging was poor because the referee is always right.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Not very Swedish Reply with quote

I didn't think this type of behaviour seemed very Swedish. So, I googled this dude (Ara Abrahamian) . There appeared to be more to this story than bad behaviour.

Last edited by Mats on Fri 15 Aug, 2008 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Swedish Press Reply with quote

I've just had a look at the Swedish press reaction to Ara's incident. There seems a lot more to this than just a peevish Swede. It seems all cards were stacked against him in the semi-final match. The story becomes quite complicated , but it seems clear that Ara was not the referees' choice to win.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I've been watching much of the Olympics. [...snip...]
The bronze medal refused by the Swedish wrestler concerns me.

What concerns me more is the number of records that have been broken in swimming, running, rowing (others?). I'm starting to be suspicious about the clocks. Is it at all possible that the second is a tiny bit longer in Beijing? la la la

MrsBrown wrote:
edit: I have to clarify. The Swedish wrestler showed very poor sportsmanship even if the judging was poor because the referee is always right.

This is a tricky situation though, especially if it really is clear that the referee was partisan. But I didn't see any wrestling (wrestling makes me queasy) and only saw the end of the news clip showing the wrestler throw down the medal. I must say that I would be more impressed if the Italian had handed his gold medal to the Swede as a protest of the judging though (although there's no saying whether the Swede would have won the match with the Hungarian wrestler). But it does seem a bit like sour grapes. I gather from reading about it that the match was very close.

MEF wrote:
The story becomes quite complicated , but it seems clear that Ara was not the referees' choice to win.

Is this clear to the world in general or is it just the Swedish news media supporting Abrahamian? According to the story in Ottawa Citizen: Wrestling community comes to defence of official, it is unlikely that there could be unfair judging.

It even appears that Abrahamian benefitted from the judging method; take a look at this story about the quarter final match between Abrahamian and Byers:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/305/story/48180.html

In searching Google news for more information about the Olympic wrestling controversy, I came across this:
The Canadian Press: Bay-jing or Bay-zhing? NBC's pronunciation conundrum at the Olympics

I thought it was "Bay-zhing". But it turns out I'm wrong (again):

The Canadian Press, wrote:
In the shadow of Olympic venues, Brian Williams has anchored NBC's "Nightly News" this week in a city he calls Bay-jing. [...snip...] [H]e asked around when he got to China - NBC News' Chinese-born Beijing staff, cab drivers, local broadcasters, interns. Everyone he spoke to used "jing."

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a former world-ranked judge of another sport what he thought. He said that sometimes judges see things that aren't seen by other judges which is why in his sport, karate, there are 5 judges and the highest and lowest scores are dropped. He told me of one instance where he gave a very low score to the favourite team because they missed 5 moves in the middle of what they were doing. The other judges took him to task saying that this was the top-ranked team in the world. He told them to look at the video replay. They were floored when they realized what they saw and he told them to stop being so partisan. The athletes also questioned him (he said they were very polite) and thanked him for pointing out their error although they didn't give up their medal.

I, like ejm, find wrestling kind of icky but I watched Carol Huynh's matches last night and was amazed at her strength and speed. Well done, Carol Huynh!! skip

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I asked a former world-ranked judge of another sport what he thought. He said that sometimes judges see things that aren't seen by other judges which is why in his sport, karate, there are 5 judges and the highest and lowest scores are dropped.

Is this the case with wrestling as well? (that there is more than one judge per bout)

I just watched the Olympic coverage on TV for about half an hour, switching back and forth between American, English Canadian and French Canadian stations. In that half hour, I think there must have been 20 minutes of ads, 8 minutes of interviews and/or official headshots of athletes who had won medals today and 2 minutes of actual event footage (but only snippets).

On the French channel, we saw footage of the little machines that retrieve and return the javelins to the throwing pad (or whatever it's called). But did they show any javelin throwing? HA! stomp

Am I alone or does anyone else wish that we could see athletes competing instead of lame interviews with Canadian or American (depending on the channel) athletes, who are spitting out generic phrases along the following lines: "I was really focussed and felt I did my best. I really want to thank my mom who text messaged me that she loved me no matter what I did. That's what gave me the courage to [win the gold/silver/bronze][give the best performance of my life][break the record]."?

M stomp o stomp r stomp e
A stomp c stomp t stomp u stomp a stomp l
E stomp v stomp e stomp n stomp t stomp s
P stomp l stomp e stomp a stomp s stomp e

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the morning show to be as you describe but the show from 3 pm-9 pm (our time--6-12 your time) is much better. It still has the droning from the athletes ("I'm just happy to be at the Olympics!") but much more competition. We've seen most of the Canadian baseball games in their entirety; we also saw a very long soccer game. They break away for brief ads and then right back to the game. I find the morning show to be the most annoying. From 8:30 to 9:00, there are probably 25 minutes of ads. Maybe because it's really 3 in the morning in China and they're making up all the ad time in the last half hour. Mostly, I agree with the following:
Quote:
M o r e
A c t u a l
E v e n t s
P l e a s e

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big sports fan but I was surprised to hear that Great Britain is 3rd in the medals table today. Looking at the events where medals have been won I think that's probably all their best chances over now and they'll do down the table. But still, it looks good while it lasts.
Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
What concerns me more is the number of records that have been broken in swimming, running, rowing (others?). I'm starting to be suspicious about the clocks.

I wonder whom to admire? Who's been cheating and who hasn't? See the story at http://www.mcclatchydc.com/264/story/35879.html.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics Reply with quote

Lawless in Lotusland wrote:

I wonder whom to admire? Who's been cheating and who hasn't? See the story at http://www.mcclatchydc.com/264/story/35879.html.

In view of that, I think they should just give in and run the "doped to the gills Olympics" and the "drug-free Olympics" (in the same way they decided that it was okay to allow professional athletes to compete in the Olympics). Then they could have a "World Series Olympics" with gold medalists from both versions competing. I wonder if any of the drug-free athletes would stand a chance?

It would be very interesting to see how many athletes there would be left to compete in the drug-free Olympics.

-------
I can't help but be reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's short story "Harrison Bergeron".

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the Plain Old Fashioned Hard Work Olympics and the The Drug-Assisted Olympics I'd also like to see the Mechanically-Assisted Olympics where athletes can use springs, levers, pulleys and gears to run, jump and throw stuff.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I'd also like to see the Mechanically-Assisted Olympics where athletes can use springs, levers, pulleys and gears to run, jump and throw stuff.

Yes!! That sounds fantastic. So fantastic that the other kind of Olympics should be done away with.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: