discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

putting things away carefully

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: putting things away carefully Reply with quote

WHY is it that when I put things away carefully, I CANNOT find them? stomp

I have a good glasses case (as in good case). The glasses are almost always on my nose. However, I have finally broken down and had my eyes checked. Of course I've had to get new glasses. Two pair of new glasses... one for reading, one for seeing in general. I neeeeeeeeeed the good case to store whichever glasses I'm not using. So far I've only received my reading glasses. (Of course, they gave me a case for the reading glasses but it's a honking big white thing that's as big as a briefcase. It seems ridiculous to have to carry a suitcase around just so I have a place to store my extra glasses case!)

I remember clearly putting my old extra pair of glasses in the good case and carefully - oh so carefully - putting it somewhere safe. Somewhere I would be able to find easily if something happened to my current glasses.

WHERE DID I CAREFULLY PUT MY SPARE GLASSES????

(So far I have gone through all the cabinets and drawers in the bathroom and the shelf beside the bed.)

Does anyone else have this kind of experience? And more to the point, have you found the carefully put away item? Where did you find it? Maybe my glasses case is there. la la la

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: putting things away carefully Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
WHERE DID I CAREFULLY PUT MY SPARE GLASSES????

(So far I have gone through all the cabinets and drawers in the bathroom and the shelf beside the bed.)

Does anyone else have this kind of experience? And more to the point, have you found the carefully put away item? Where did you find it? Maybe my glasses case is there. la la la

Well, I didn't put it away carefully. In fact, I think I left it somewhere. My diary. I am trying not to think about it right now.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has gone the "two pairs" route and often finds herself wearing the wrong pair when about to start a task much to her annoyance.

My myopia means I have needed glasses to be able to see objects in the distance since my teens but in recent years reading has required holding the page gradually further and further away until this year my arms were no longer long enough. I decided to go for varifocal lenses to address both difficulties. I have to say that I'm very pleased with how I have adjusted to them. I never remove my glasses unless I'm sleeping or showering or swimming. Apart from frequently colliding with other swimmers, the only drawback is when I look at the ground near my feet I look through the wrong section of lens and occasionally misjudge the position of kerbs.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: putting things away carefully Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
WHY is it that when I put things away carefully, I CANNOT find them? stomp

I knew there was a reason that I never put anything away carefully. la la la I usually put things like a glasses case in the messy bookcase beside my side of the bed.

Well, we do have a filing cabinet, and for some things, there are several folders where they could be. I have had a few panicky moments when something wasn't where I expected it. But I guess it's not quite the same, because there are a finite number of folders to look through, and I have always eventually found what I'm looking for.

I do sometimes have trouble finding carefully-put-away files at work. Not the important files for my actual work, just things that I have made notes of to save me time later. Save time, hahahaha. The problem is that there are several different computers or databases where I can put things, and depending on what I was doing at the time I created the file, I would have considered that place to be the best one to store the file. Then even if I can remember where I put it, I have to remember what I called it.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
go for varifocal lenses ... the only drawback is when I look at the ground near my feet I look through the wrong section of lens and occasionally misjudge the position of kerbs.

Yes, if I did any serious hiking, I would need to get some ordinary glasses. Strange terrain and strange stairs are a bit nerve-wracking.

By the way, I found my diary. Whew! It was covered up by my lap-top case which I didn't carefully put away.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

By the way, I found my diary. Whew! It was covered up by my lap-top case which I didn't carefully put away.

Quel relief! And maybe that bodes well for me. Perhaps I will find my case. So far the new reading glasses have been brilliant. I was told by colleagues that I would hate them but I guess I have left getting them so long that the clarity is so markedly different (much better!!!) that I couldn't be happier.

I'm looking forward to getting my progressive lens glasses (but not looking forward to having to remember to look through the correct part of the lenses when descending stairs).

David wrote:
My wife has gone the "two pairs" route and often finds herself wearing the wrong pair when about to start a task much to her annoyance.

I've often seen that difficulty with my colleagues. I'm hoping that I won't fall into the same trap. Maybe I will have to resort to getting those beaded straps attached to both pair of glasses and then just have whichever pair I'm not wearing on my nose hanging around my neck so that I can quickly transfer them if I happen to be wearing the incorrect ones.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

I, like David, have worn glasses to see distant objects since my teens. In my dotage, I've had to switch to bi-focals to read clearly as well. One pair of glasses does both.
In reading this thread I'm confused by the term "varifocal" ; googling this term was no help at all.
Next, ejm refers to "progressive lens glasses"; what are those?

Lastly, why have two pairs of glasses when one will suffice??

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: OOPS! Reply with quote

OK, so I just read about presbyopia and now understand PALs.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
why have two pairs of glasses when one will suffice??

My reading glasses are for the distance to the computer screen and/or music stand. I do not want to have to find the miniscule area for that distance on my progressive lenses (especially because fashion has dictated that the depth of glasses these days is rather narrow). My progressive lenses (that I do not yet have) are essentially trifocals: long distance, middle distance (what I call "reading") and close distance (what most people call "reading").

It took me ages to understand that people HATE it if I call my progressive lens glasses "trifocals". It also took me ages to understand that while my progressive lenses will have essentially three focal distances, they will have multiple focal distances on the areas between the three primary focal distances - at least I think that's how these glasses work. My eye doctor recommended that I get actual trifocals with marked lines between each part of the lens if I was going to get only one pair of glasses. (Ewwwww, it's bad enough to have to be wearing trifocals - I don't want to have to announce it to everyone who sees me wearing my glasses!)

If I used the progressive lens glasses for reading the computer screen and music, I can imagine that I'd have to be moving my head up and down all the time. Of course, I could be wrong. I don't have my progressive lenses yet. Perhaps I've wasted my money to buy two pair of glasses.

I have to say that it's GREAT to be able to see the computer screen properly now. Once again, I can read the tiny print that had become a hopeless blur with my old glasses.

MEF wrote:
OK, so I just read about presbyopia and now understand PALs.

I had to google "PALs" to find out what it stood for. I also had to look up "presbyopia".... la la la

wikipedia wrote:
Progressive lenses, also called progressive addition lenses (PAL) [...] are corrective lenses used in eyeglasses to correct presbyopia and other disorders of accommodation. [...]

Presbyopia [...] describes the condition where the eye exhibits a progressively diminished ability to focus on near objects with age. [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_lenses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

edit: I STILL haven't found the old glasses case Exclamation stomp Exclamation

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
edit: I STILL haven't found the old glasses case Exclamation stomp Exclamation
I think it's with the gravy spoon that Someone (we're not sure who) carefully put away some time last year in a very special place.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: putting things away carefully Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

I just had an instance of this kind of experience. I have stopped carrying unnecessary cards around*, and I had carefully put my credit cards in a separate wallet that I keep by my bedside. Today I was organizing them for a trip starting tomorrow, and they weren't in that separate wallet.

I tore several parts of the house apart looking for them, although most of the places I looked couldn't possibly have been where I left them. I mentioned to my husband that maybe I had put them in the filing cabinet with my passport, since it's mainly for travel that I ever need them. But when I looked there, I only found the passport.

As I was searching ever more frantically, he had calmly continued to look in the filing cabinet, and there they were filed with my credit card information. An excellent place to keep them, if only I'd remembered.

All the while I was searching, I was thinking about this etherwork thread, the diary had eventually been found and trying to forget that the glasses case had not. la la la

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I opened a cupboard and saw the wooden chopping board that had been missing for several months. I am baffled by it's sudden appearance, exactly where it was supposed to be, especially as I had twice emptied the cupboard in an attempt to find it.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Today I opened a cupboard and saw the wooden chopping board that had been missing for several months. I am baffled by it's sudden appearance, exactly where it was supposed to be, especially as I had twice emptied the cupboard in an attempt to find it.

hmm, weird. I suspect "The Borrowers."

EJM did you ever find your glasses case?

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

How does that happen!!? This sort of thing has happened to me too. And other occupants of the house have completely denied knowledge of ever seeing or touching the item.

I finally did find my glasses case - I completely forgot to report it. It was in a spot that I would NEVER put something if I were putting it carefully away. I can't even begin to imagine what was in my pea brain to put it where I did (on the red bench by the door with gloves, scarves and hats)!

CAM wrote:

I suspect "The Borrowers."

This seems much less creepy than my thought of Poltergeist.... la la la

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: