discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Robert Fulford on a changed U.S.A.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Robert Fulford on a changed U.S.A. Reply with quote

My friend Robert Fulford has written superbly on a major political shift in our time:
National Post (Canada): "A divide has been crossed" by Robert Fulford

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Robert Fulford on a changed U.S.A. Reply with quote

It is driving me mad that people keep focussing on the fact that Obama is black. Sure, I guess it IS a milestone for Americans to have a black president. But I got the distinct impression that some people voted for him simply because he is black (and some refused to vote for him simply because he is black).

Does that mean that when he can't achieve some of the things he's promised to achieve (which goes without saying in politics) that people will blame the failure on his blackness?

And notice that nobody kept talking about McCain as "the white/caucasion" candidate. Until we get rid of these meaningless colour labels, we cannot really say we've gone forward.

As far as I'm concerned, the only label beside Obama's name should be "Democrat". Obama's being black is meaningless in the world of politics. There are already several world leaders who are black. Or Asian. Or Muslim. Or Jewish. Or....

In the National Post, Robert Fulford wrote:
He demonstrated it was possible to push race into the background, not ignoring it but not accepting for a moment (as so many black and white Americans have in the past) that it trumps all other issues.

-excerpt from "A divide has been crossed" by Robert Fulford

Too bad most of the media is continuing to let race/religion "trump all other issues". I'm looking forward to paying attention to policies and action.

---------------
Speaking of black and white, will the name of the Presidential residence be changed now? whoo hoo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Robert Fulford on a changed U.S.A. Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
... I'm looking forward to paying attention to policies and action.

See the "Real News" interview at therealnews.com

"Obama and civil liberties - Michael Ratner: People's constitutional rights are not going to be the main priority"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: