discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Spicy Chipotle Shortbread

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Spicy Chipotle Shortbread Reply with quote

In a flyer that is full of coupons for various things, I came across this recipe. It sounded so good and the picture looked so appetizing that I HAD to make them.

Spicy Chipotle Shortbread

1 cup unsalted butter, softened (I used regular butter)
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
3/4 tsp salt (Because I used salted butter, I only used 1/4 tsp salt)
1/2 cup grated cheese (recipe recommends sharp cheddar or monterey jack with tomatoes and jalapeno peppers; I used havarti with jalapeno because that's what I had in my fridge)

1. Place butter and sugar in a large bowl, beat until very smooth and creamy. In a separate large bowl, stir flour with cornstarch, parsley, chipotle powder and salt; stir in cheese.

2. Use a wooden spoon to stir flour mixture into butter mixture just until a few streaks of flour remain. Knead dough gently to finish combining ingredients.

3. Form dough into a log about 1 1/2 inces thick. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes or freeze for up to 1 week. Slice into 1/4 inch disks. Bake in 350F oven on ungreased baking sheets for 14-15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 3 dozen shortbreads.

Tip: Use these shortbreads as a canape base and top with garnishes, such as sour cream and chives.

The little picture next to the recipe shows a shortbread topped with some smoked salmon and a sprig of chives. I made them today--they're wonderful. A little smoky, a little sweet, a little spicy but not too spicy. The BrownBoy and I agree that this is a keeper. oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

I'm a little worried that the recipe police will come after me because I didn't use a wooden spoon to mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture; I used my hands. oh, oh. (looking over my shoulder)

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Hmmm.. Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the sugar goes with cheese/parsley. But, if it works, what the heck!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was a little surprised, too. I figured it had something to do with the texture of hte shortbread. These are not friendly to MrBrown, who thinks that sugar is the Root Of All Evil, so I'd like to figure out a way to make them without sugar but retain the texture. Any ideas?

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Hmm... Reply with quote

Since it's the fat that prevents the formation of the long gluten strands, I don't see what part the sugar plays in the texture. Wouldn't butter and flour produce the non-sweet version?

Like this http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=6299

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised at the amount of sugar as well. I wonder what would happen if you caramelized some onions to make around 1/4 c to replace the icing sugar if that would keep the texture of the dough the same.

Because I know how sugar does soften dough (I forgot to put sugar in a cake batter once and it was incredibly stiff. As soon as I added the sugar, it turned immediately into cake batter.)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: