discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

about weather forecasters

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is it about weather forecasters that bothers you most?
They apologize because it's going to rain on the weekend (even if rain will be welcome).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They tell people to turn on their air conditioners when it's going to be a little bit hot.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whenever they say there's x% chance of precipitation, it rains and/or snows.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whenever they say it will partly cloudy, it rains.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They don't look out the window to notice that it ISN'T sunny and they don't step outside to notice what the temperature really is.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
They still get paid even though they are wrong 90% of the time.
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: about weather forecasters Reply with quote

How is it that day after day, week after week, weather forecasters can get everything wrong and yet when they predict
*s *n*!o*w* they're always right?!??

I was so hoping that they'd be wrong as usual today. I wanted to ride my bike downtown. NOT. A. CHANCE. I can't even see the road from the front window right now.

I wonder if there's any point in going out to shovel yet....

* * * *! * *! * * *! * * *! * * * * * * * *! * *! * * *! * * *! * * * * * * * *! * *! * * *! * * *! * * * *

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't possibly choose only one answer in the poll. Where's the button that says "All of the above"? It's MINUS 13 on my covered deck which is quite near the door so must be at least a couple of degrees warmer than the regular outside...and then there's the windchill factor. Where's the button about "windchill factor"? * * * *! whoohoo! I hate being cold.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two sorts of TV weather forecasters. On the one hand there are the sober, sensible meteorologists and on the other hand there are the bimbo weather girls. The former give very accurate and precise incorrect predictions but nobody knows what the latter do because we're too busy discussing their clothes and immovable hair to listen to what they are actually saying.

It's fairly easy to bluff one's way through a forecast in our temperate and changeable maritime climate. The forecast just needs to include the phrase "cloudy with sunny intervals and scattered showers" or "changeable".

Today the forecast is cloudy with sunny intervals and scattered showers with a high of 10C.

Have you noticed that a lot of people complain about the weather but nobody does anything about it?
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
We have two sorts of TV weather forecasters. On the one hand there are the sober, sensible meteorologists and on the other hand there are the bimbo weather girls.

We have two sorts of TV weather forecasters too. But there isn't quite as marked a difference. The weather girls are pretty much the same. But the weather men are idiotic lamely joking men posing as sensible (sort of) meteorologists who want desperately to be liked. Those men invariably wear loud plaid jackets and apologize for rain and snow and take credit for sun (then apologize the next day when the sun hasn't appeared - but they DON'T ever say they were wrong)

Today's forecast is for a low of -8C and a high of -8C (Hey!!)*, partly cloudy with a 40% chance of snow (I believe that means 100% chance of snow...). Tomorrow's forecast is for a high of -2C a low of -8C and 100% chance of snow. Oh yay. More snow! I LOVE shovelling. la la la

* * * *! * * *! * * * *! * * * *! * * * * *! * * * *! * * *! * * * *! * * * *! * * * * *!

MrsBrown wrote:
Where's the button about "windchill factor"?

Don't even get me started about "windchill factor" and "humidex"....

*edit: This is brilliant. The current temperature is -16C. Already, today's forecast is wrong. I clearly went in to the wrong profession. I'd love to have this kind of job security. (Do you think they even look at anything but a calendar?)

This is my idea of a final exam question for meteorologists:
1. It's December in Toronto. Which forecast is correct?
a. cold, chance of snow
b. cold, with a windchill of -20
c. (apologize) get out your scarves and mittens! Jack Frost is here to stay!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Now I understand Reply with quote

I didn't understand the complaints at the beginning of this thread; now I see that it's not Environment Canada's forecasts that is being discussed - it's the TV presentation. I simply click here and get accurate (as far as possible) forecasts.http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-143_metric_e.html

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Now I understand Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I see that it's not Environment Canada's forecasts that is being discussed - it's the TV presentation.

Yes, I should have made it clear that I was talking about the Weather Network and radio reporters. Although Environment Canada is not without its faults either.

I just drove home (it was beginning to snow) and was listening to the weather reports. They kept mentioning that snow would begin falling in Toronto around midnight. Hellllooooooooooooooo!!! Once again, do they ever look out the window??

I use environment Canada site too but this is the internet site we turn to when we want to know if we will really get rain/snow and when - the moving radar images are very helpful:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=buf&product=NCR&loop=yes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: