discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History? Reply with quote

Often I find myself chuckling at the way totalitarian regimes try to write "history" to suit the current cause. But every now and then, I find that my own (Canadian) education has left some huge holes in it's exaplanation of world history. In reading a book about Sichuan cookery, I ran into a description of the exploits of Qin ShiHuang. This dude makes Alexander, Ceasar, and Charlemage look like timid guys. About 2000 years ago he made this huge empire we now know as China. He did this in about 10 years! He had the world's most elaborate grave made for himself ( http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/legacy/qin/slide1.html) It makes the effort of the Egyptian kings look puny. SO, why is this guy not well known??

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History? Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
SO, why is this guy not well known??

I've certainly heard of that terracotta army but had never paid attention to the name of the emporer. Thanks for the link.

I must echo:

SO, why is this guy not well known??

Maybe it's because he didn't invade Europe?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History? Reply with quote

Thanks MEF. I visited the website. Wow.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the west has almost no knowledge of the history of China. How many Chinese Emporers can you name? It's embarassing isn't it?
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: A Bit More Than Just "Chinese History" Reply with quote

I agree, David, that it's embarassing how little we know about Chinese history. Still, my point was really that tons of people know about Alexander and have never heard of Persia; the same with Ceasar and the Roman empire, Catherine and Russia, Tutenkhamen and Egypt, etc. Qin Shi Huang should be right up there with those despots.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: