discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Tapioca Pudding - delight or scourge?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Tapioca Pudding - delight or scourge? Reply with quote

In another thread Lizard said that tapioca pudding is horrible. This got me thinking as I've never had this delight. So, I found out that tapioca is the starch extracted form cassava (or yuca) and can be made to "bind" practically anything under the sun together. In the same thread David said that this pudding is the food of the gods. I'm going to get some of this fabled starch and see if it can make a treat equal to or better than my fabled Martian Delight . Stay tuned.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Where is the horror? Reply with quote

I followed a tapioca pudding recie that I found at random the net and cooked away, waiting for the horrors Lizard promised. Didn't work; I used orange juice for the liquid part and pear and orange sections for the "solid" part and only added some sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The whole mass was cooked until the starch was ready to set ( a bit of lemon juice at this point). It has now set and tastes, well, like a compote done in a hurry. How did I miss the "vileness"????

Last edited by Mats on Wed 24 Nov, 2004 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
David (not logged in)
not logged in

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually eaten tapoica since it was served as a dessert in primary school but I have very fond memories of it. I think it was prepared in the same manner way they cooked rice pudding or sago to produce a hot sticky sweet milky pudding that wouldn't fall out of a bowl if held upside down.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did login. I did. I really did!
Are you mocking me etherwork.net?
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
It has now set and tastes, well, like a compote done in a hurry. How did I miss the "vileness"????

These flavours sound good. But but but... what was the texture of this "ambrosia" MEF? If it was like lumpy blanc mange, then it is vile.

David wrote:
I did login. I did. I really did!
Are you mocking me etherwork.net?

Surely you noticed the red flashing sign telling you to make sure your name was filled in? That flashing sign is an indication that your login did not take.

Sorry that you are having trouble with this....

----------------------
Die Schecken sind meine Freunde auch. Ich liebe sie mit viele Butter und Knoblauch.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Your are right , Lizard Reply with quote

This quick cook tapioca did leave tiny white lumps of starch. I can think of at least 1000 better thickeners. So, good bye tapioca, hello sweet potato starch!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: