discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

The festive spirit?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: The festive spirit? Reply with quote

Is it too early for this thread? I don't know.
With all the shops playing Christmas songs back-to-back and the streets full of decorations designed to get shoppers in the festive spirit (spending money) I was wondering what, if anything, makes it feel like Christmas for you? Can a particular song or movie make a difference? Or does it need to be something that only happens at this time of year like certain foods or being away from work and being with family or seeing friends or giving and receiving gifts, overeating and drinking, or the traditional dinner. If not, what would do it? a covering of snow on Christmas day? peace on earth and goodwill to all mankind? nothing?
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't too early for the thread. I've wrapped and mailed all out of town presents * and am thinking maybe it's time to make the shortbread.

For me, that festive feeling might be caused by a combination of seeing coloured lights on people's houses and a dusting of * snow *! on the ground. But not unless * it's December... and not * unless the roads are still passable via bicycle....

And you? What makes you feel festive? hohoho

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hohoho the smell of Mandarin/Japanese/Satsuma oranges. I always think of them as Christmas oranges.
hohoho the lights on the houses with the reflections shimmering on the street
hohoho lugging the decorations from the storage area under the stairs, snarling about having to do it and then finding all the cool things we haven't seen for a year
hohoho putting my son's large school-made decorations on the window to admire. We have them from pre-school to grade 4.
hohoho finishing up the Christmas baking and letting my son take small amounts of it for his lunch

A couple of weeks ago, I was listening to the Christmas songs in the stores and thinking "this is far too early, ick, isn't that an awful song?" MrBrown was chastising me for not having the Christmas spirit. The other day, we were shopping at the same store and I found myself humming along and not hating the songs (except, of course, for Feliz Navidad).

hohoho stomp * skip *! la la la * whoo hoo! * hohoho

Last edited by MrsBrown on Wed 15 Dec, 2004 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The festive spirit? Reply with quote

David wrote:
I was wondering what, if anything, makes it feel like Christmas for you?

hohoho Wrapping Christmas presents. Sometimes it happens during shopping, but it usually really hits during wrapping.

hohoho Hearing real Christmas carols.

hohoho Snow, the kind with the huge flakes.

bravo! to llizard for the excellent new * *! * * *
and especially the hohoho la la la la la la

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* *! * * * * * * * * *! * * * * *! * * * * *! * * * * *! * hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho It feels like Christmas is coming when

I look for llizard's advent calendar and find it.

Wrap presents.

Get out the tree ornaments. Start the grocery list for Christmas dinner.

See the tree decorated and lighted, turn out all the other lights, look outside the window at the darkness to see if Santa Clause can be seen, and see little but the reflection of brightly coloured tree lights.

Realize that St. Nicholas really does visit our house each year. If not, how is it that everyone in our house finds stuff in their stockings in the morning that I didn't know about?!

MicheleCerulli
registered

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my girlfriend (who I am living with) already made our Xms tree and our "presepe" ("manger" I think), and bought some presents which are nicely packed and laying under our Xmas tree. My father brought us a "pandoro" (a traditional italian X-mas cake)...
However, to make the atmosphere even nicer, we are going to spend next weekend in Venezia ("Venice")!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first tiny glowing embers of the festive spirit begin when a large fur/spruce/pine tree erected in the centre of town and decorated (this year with simple, tasteful bright blue lights). The festive embers are then fanned as the normal kitchen smells are infused with cinnamon and Christmas Cards begin to arrive in the mail. This is usually enough to motivate me to drag the bags of baubles, tinsel and bright shiny things out of the attic and begin to decorate the house. To accompanying this activity I usually dust off my Phil Spectre's "A Christmas Gift For You" CD. By the end of this I'll have visions of sugarplums dancing in my head and be wearing a silly grin of seasonal merriment. However I have to be careful not to do this too early in December as it's impossible to maintain such a high level of jollity for an extended period without straining my facial muscles and having all my holiday smiles look like smirks, or worse, sneers. I don't usually acheive the full ho-ho-holiday feeling until I find myself at home on a weekday. Right about that time I'd be wanting to watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas". This cartoon is just enough to put me over the edge. Must, go now as I need to deck my hall with boughs of holly, FA LA LA LA LA, LA LA LA LA.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I need to deck my hall with boughs of holly

Here. Let me help you: hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho hohoho

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just about lost my festive spirit when we put up the outdoor lights. Why oh why oh why don't we write down that the large string of lights goes over the window and the two small ones go side by side between the pillars of the porch???

What is it about outdoor lights and mild skirmishes? As we wrestled, people walked by on their way home from work, first looking up and smiling and starting to say "lovely lights" and then looking away quickly at the wildeyed look on our faces.

If the stupid things didn't look so nice now that they're up, I'd never put up Christmas lights again!

(Hmmm Suddenly I'm reminded of my dad's adventures with Christmas lights)

edit: I'm not even going to talk about bringing the tree indoors! (Hmmmm, again. Is that why they invented eggnog? Maybe we should have tried that...)

2nd edit: Hey!! Perhaps we can have a repeat performance of two years ago!! hohoho Decorating the Christmas Tree hohoho hohoho

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the kids have all finished school until the new year it's begining to feel a lot like Christmas. It's cold today and the bookeeping staff have asked if they might have another shovel of coal for the fire. Just now it has begun to snow big white feathery flakes but it's not quite cold enough to settle. Perhaps later. It's started me dreaming of a white christmas, just like the ones we used to know.
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
It's started me dreaming of a white christmas, just like the ones we used to know.

* *! * * * I think I know that kind of Christmas. Is it the kind where the treetops glisten and children listen to hear sleighbells in the snow? * * * *! * hohoho

hohoho The tree got decorated yesterday--how's that for using the passive voice? It was the kind of decorating where I fought with the lights and then MADE everyone hang something on the tree. Then everyone, except the bravo! BrownBoy bravo! and I, had to go to the bathroom or answer the phone or disappear into the ether and not get back until the tree was completely decorated. They oohed and aahed appropriately though. hohoho

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
David wrote:
It's started me dreaming of a white christmas, just like the ones we used to know.

* *! * * * I think I know that kind of Christmas. Is it the kind where the treetops glisten and children listen to hear sleighbells in the snow? * * * *! * hohoho

http://www.always-safe.com/silverbells.html And where you see city sidewalks, busy sidewalks.... As the shoppers rush home with their treasures.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
The tree got decorated yesterday

We are STILL decorating our tree. We started two days ago. I think we'll finish this evening.

We found out that it was much much easier to do it over a couple of days. Since we started doing that, the number of skirmishes and grumblings have been reduced dramatically. (In fact, I think there have been zero so far this year!!!)

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
MrsBrown wrote:
The tree got decorated yesterday

We are STILL decorating our tree. We started two days ago. I think we'll finish this evening.

We found out that it was much much easier to do it over a couple of days. Since we started doing that, the number of skirmishes and grumblings have been reduced dramatically. (In fact, I think there have been zero so far this year!!!)

And perhaps you are able to pause to comment to each branch, saying "How are thy leaves so verdant!" and perhaps you have time to exclaim that each bough doth hold its tiny light that makes each toy to sparkle bright?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 23 Dec, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: The tree is up.... now it's really Christmas Reply with quote

The tree went up last evening. It looks lovely. I put candles out today. I finished tidying up the "public areas" of the house. The kids removed the lead from their shorts and began furiously cleaning their rooms. I once heard a rumour that Santa Clause doesn't visit houses where kids' bedrooms are untidy. When the children were young I told my kids about this rumour and said that I didn't know whether it was true, but "why take a chance?" They are much older now, but they still clean their rooms before Christmas eve. Perhaps now this is only because their rooms will be occupied by visiters.

I wonder if they will tell their kids about the Santa Rumour. It has really started to feel more like Christmas.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: