discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

BSE - CJD - anyone worried?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: BSE - CJD - anyone worried? Reply with quote

I'm curious if forum memeber react to the news of a BSE detection in Alberta, Canada by , say, avoiding beef products. Do you? whoo hoo!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BSE - CJD - anyone worried? Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I'm curious if forum memeber react to the news of a BSE detection in Alberta, Canada by , say, avoiding beef products. Do you? whoo hoo!

No. Do you? (How could I avoid hulahooping cows?) whoo hoo!

But I have to wonder why any idiots anywhere would be feeding cattle with animal-byproduct feed!

David claims he logged in
not logged in

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that. It's illegal to add animal remains to animal food here now.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did login. I did!
*stomps off in a huff
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I did login. I did!
*stomps off in a huff

Okay okay!! I'll try to fix it!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David claims he logged in wrote:
Been there, done that. It's illegal to add animal remains to animal food here now.

It's illegal here in Canada too. I'm amazed that there has to be a law about this. What lackbrain even thought that it would be a good idea to feed cattle with food that has animal remains in it??

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

Well, I guess should qualify that. We eat very little beef ; it features in 10-15% of our meals. We haven't changed this consumption during the various BSE outbreaks. Since it affects such an infinitisimal (sp?) part of the total supply, one cannot really worry. whoo hoo!

David+
not logged in

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

It's illegal here in Canada too. I'm amazed that there has to be a law about this. What lackbrain even thought that it would be a good idea to feed cattle with food that has animal remains in it??

It was a callous pursuit of profit at the expense of safety. Animal carcasses were deliberately added to animal food production systems because they were available for free. The policy was to reduce operating costs and to hell with everyone else.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David+ wrote:
llizard wrote:

It was a callous pursuit of profit at the expense of safety. Animal carcasses were deliberately added to animal food production systems because they were available for free. The policy was to reduce operating costs and to hell with everyone else.

We eat very little beef in general. I'm not sure I'm too worried, but perhaps one should be less trusting of our legal standards. Animal products in cattle feed wasn't even illegal here in Canada until about 6 years ago. Did cattle ranchers know how dangerous it is? Many cattle ranchers are pretty well-educated (or if not, where did all the BSc "aggie" graduates go? Did they become policy makers instead of ranchers and farmers?) I'd be more concerned about eating beef in some other countries for a variety of reasons. I notice Alberta's premier, Ralph Klein, back-peddled from his announcement of a few days ago that there should be a cull of older cattle, and is now saying that the industry and scientists should decide what should be culled, and control any cull.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: