discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Cheese Fondue and Spinach Salad

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Cheese Fondue and Spinach Salad Reply with quote

http://etherwork.net/recipes/fondue.html#cheese

We made this tonight because we had read your blog from New Year's Eve and we were having a romantic dinner to celebrate our son going to a birthday party and we were by ourselves Exclamation

We started, as you did, with a lovely spinach salad with a warm vinaigrette. I caramelized some onions and a chopped up portobello mushroom. To the onions and mushrooms, I added some lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, a splash of balsamic vinegar, some dijon mustard and then added oil to make a salad dressing. I kept this warm for a few minutes while I arranged the spinach, red pepper strips, grape tomatoes and avocado slices. What a fantastic salad Exclamation We dipped garlic bread into the cheese fondue which was delicious but there is masses left. la la la la la la

What did you do with the left overs? Idea I hope it warms up nicely for lunch tomorrow. whoo hoo! skip stomp

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cheese Fondue and Spinach Salad Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

What did you do with the left overs?

Yes, it warms up beautifully (although it may separate a little) We had some cubed bread left over so just dipped those cubes into the reheated cheese. We reheated the cheese in a small pyrex bowl placed in the toaster oven at a medium heat. It was just as (if not more) delicious.

But I was just reading about 'croque monsieur' and it looks like perhaps you could make a reasonable facsimile of that kind of sandwich as well:

http://www.chefdecuisine.com/course/appetizer/CROQUE_MONSIEUR.asp

We were also speculating that left-over fondue would be good put into lasagne.

edit: your salad sounds delicious!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cheese Fondue and Spinach Salad Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
But I was just reading about 'croque monsieur' and it looks like perhaps you could make a reasonable facsimile of that kind of sandwich as well:

From reading the recipe, it looks like Croque Monsieur is a grilled cheese sandwich with a fancier name. whoo hoo!

Quote:
We were also speculating that left-over fondue would be good put into lasagne.

I thought of that as well. The bravo! BrownBoy bravo! LOVES macaroni (except he prefers radiatore) and cheese. The left over fondue might make an excellent cheese sauce for pasta with some added vegetables and then baked in the oven. Hmmm What to do, what to do? la la la

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheese Fondue and Spinach Salad Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
llizard wrote:

From reading the recipe, it looks like Croque Monsieur is a grilled cheese sandwich with a fancier name.

From that particular recipe, yes, I'd agree. In the book that I was just reading though: "Barefoot in Paris" by Ina Garten, the cheese sauce goes on the outside and is broiled. She toasts the bread, puts a little mustard, ham and grated gruyere on one toast slice, covers it with the other toast slice, "slather(s) the tops with the cheese sauce", (her words - I love that word "slather") spinkles any extra gruyere overtop and bakes the sandwiches for about 5 minutes then broils them for a few minutes more until the top is bubbling a little.

And yes, I too think it would work fantastically as a sauce with some sort of pasta. I'm a big fan of penne - I'm not sure that I've seen radiatore on our pasta store shelf. I just looked at various pasta shapes http://www.ilovepasta.org/shapes.htm and am certain that I've never seen radiatore at all. But I can see they would work PERFECTLY for holding cheese sauce!l

So, what are you going to do with your leftover cheese fondue? What a dilemma for you!! You might have to have fondue again so that you'll have more leftovers so you can do both! whoo hoo!

David+
not logged in

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cheese Fondue and Spinach Salad Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

From reading the recipe, it looks like Croque Monsieur is a grilled cheese sandwich with a fancier name. whoo hoo!

Yes, a hot cheese (usually gruyere or emental) and ham sandwich. I can recommend other variations - Croque Madame (with egg, but once I had one with chicken), Croque Neptune (I think this was Clam and cheese), and a Croque Normand (Camenbert and ham). I never make these at home as I'm always dissapointed because bread made from French flour is different to bread made from English flour. Not better, just different. The difference means I can never reproduce the flavour and texture. I think this difference also explains why English pastry is always too soft for my tastes.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: