discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

ISO: chewy peanut butter cookies

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you like your peanut butter cookies?
Chewy, peanutty and rich
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Cakey, peanutty and rich
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Thin, crisp, peanutty and rich
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
I loathe peanut butter cookies
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: ISO: chewy peanut butter cookies Reply with quote

Yesterday, we suddenly neeeeeded to have peanut butter cookies. I begged for chewy peanut butter cookies so we googled and found several instances of Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies "These cookies are really chewy and addictive."

Liars! I have purposely not linked to any of the pages that have the recipe because it is terrible. boo! The cookies are NOT chewy at all but caky. The cookies do NOT taste of peanut butter. They are merely sweet. They're not even as good as the worst storebought cookies one can buy.

The only change that we made to the recipe was to omit the chocolate chips. Because we had been lead to believe that the cookies would spread, we did NOT press them down with a fork. Big Mistake. boo! The cookies were like little pucks with the bottoms burned.

After tasting from the first disastrous tray that came out of the oven, we added more peanut butter to the remaining dough and pressed the dropped cookies with a fork. The resulting cookies at least were crispy and flat but still pretty much tasteless - merely sweet with a hint of peanut butter. boo!

This morning I googled again and came across this wonderful rant about chewy peanut butter cookies:
google cache of "Observations, Complaints and Lamentations - September 26, 2003 Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies" bravo!

Surely it's not true? Is it really not possible to make a chewy peanut butter cookie?

stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer slighty crispy and slightly chewy but definately peanutty.
What does "rich" means when applied to peanut cookies?
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
What does "rich" means when applied to peanut cookies?

It means the cookies are made with butter rather than vegetable shortening or that dreaded substance boo! m-rg-r-n-. boo!

David, when you say you prefer slightly crisp and slightly chewy, does that mean you have a recipe for slightly crisp slightly chewy peanut butter cookies? whoo hoo! skip whoo hoo! whoo hoo! whoo hoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

It means the cookies are made with butter rather than vegetable shortening or that dreaded substance boo! m-rg-r-n-. boo!

I found a site http://www.melindalee.com/cookiedough.html that
has some guidelines for how to make chewy or crispy cookies. One of the things for chewy cookies is not to use butter.

Last night I made some peanut butter cookies la la la. I used only dark brown sugar, and I used shortening. I think the recipe had too much flour though - the cookies turned out ok but not chewy at all, and still not peanutty enough. I'll try again though, with less flour next time, and a bit less cooking time.

I recall the best peanut butter cookies bravo! I ever made used the really dry peanut butter from the bottom of the jar (no matter how much you stir in the oil, some always seems to get left out at the bottom). When our current peanut butter jar gets down to the bottom, I'm going to try again (but with all brown sugar).

(Unfortunately, although I'm using the same recipe I used to use for great peanut butter cookies, it doesn't work right any more. I think it's probably a difference of altitude and humidity (Edmonton to Toronto; 5000/100ft 60/30). (The recipe is the one in the old Joy of Cooking.) la la la

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before making those dreadful peanut butter cookies, we consulted wcpo.com - Cookie Tips: How To Make Cookies Flat, Crispy, Soft, Or Chewy There was no mention of butter vs shortening.

We were very careful to make sure that the ingredients and dough were brought up to room temperature - pretty tricky thing to do in our kitchen in November. And we also were careful to drop the cookie dough onto cooled pans - we were trying for a spreading AND chewy cookie. (When I say "we", of course I don't mean "me". The only time I make cookies is at Christmas time) When the first pucks came out of the oven, they had not spread at all but they were dense and completely rock hard.

I think that there was WAY too much flour in the cookies we made. I asked if the flour was sifted or at least fluffed before being measured and got a blank look for the answer. This indicates to me that even if the recipe already called for too much flour, even more was added.

The other little problem is that one of us really prefers thin crispy peanut butter cookies. I think for the next batch of peanut butter cookies, I'm going to have to compromise and settle for thin crispy.... stomp stomp stomp

Thanks for the link to the Melinda Lee cookie tips page, blm. Sorry to hear that your cookies didn't turn out either. Maybe one just can't make good peanut butter cookies in Toronto.... la la la

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
Before making those dreadful peanut butter cookies, we consulted wcpo.com - Cookie Tips: How To Make Cookies Flat, Crispy, Soft, Or Chewy There was no mention of butter vs shortening.

wcpo.com - Cookie Tips: How To Make Cookies Flat, Crispy, Soft, Or Chewy wrote:

Too much flour will make the cookie, firm, dry and tough ...

Aha! My cookies were exactly that: firm, dry and tough. Next time I'll start with half the flour and bake just a couple of cookies. Then add more flour, 2 more cookies etc until they come out right. I think I'll use more peanut butter, too.

slightly off topic:
Hmm ... I wonder if you can bake cookies in a wok.

Goldilocks
not logged in

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Nutella Cookies Reply with quote

I once tried making peanut butter cookies with nutella (hazelnut, chocolaty spread) instead of peanut butter. I seem to recall them being rather thin and crispy, although they were delicious (you can never go wrong with nutella). I too prefer chewy cookies, so Iím wondering if anyone has any ideas in creating the perfect nutella cookie. Nutella has a slightly softer consistency than most peanut butters, so Iím not sure how to go about re-attempting this recipe. Many here seem to be quickly becoming peanut butter cookie connoisseurs, and your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nutella Cookies Reply with quote

Goldilocks wrote:
I once tried making peanut butter cookies with nutella (hazelnut, chocolaty spread) instead of peanut butter.

Doesn't nutella have quite a lot of sugar?

copycat recipe for Nutella

I googled "nutella cookies" and came across this recipe:

Gail's recipe swap - nutella cookies (note that "1 cup butter" is missing from the recipe's ingredients list)

No idea if it's any good but it was adapted from one of the Moosewood Collective cookbooks. I have one of their books and have liked anything I've made from it.

Here's another that I've not made but it might be okay... (it looks a little heavy on the flour though)
Thick and Chewy Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

Chances are that your best bet would be to substitute Nutella for peanut butter in any decent peanut butter cookie recipe (still to be located la la la )

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: