discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Horrible Food (and I use the term lightly)
Go to page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Horrible Food (and I use the term lightly) Reply with quote

CAM mentioned that people were bringing macaroni salads and marshmallow salads to a large group gathering. I've always wondered who actually eats those things and why people bring them. The people who bring them to potlucks must feel bad when they bring something that they think is delicious and nobody eats it. Don't they wonder? Do THEY like it? la la la

I'm always drawn to horrible recipes. I love to read them and wince at how awful they must be. whoo hoo!

I read something recently on another forum about a cake that sounded absolutely vile to me. It was called boo! Dreamsicle Cake boo! . You take a regular cake mix and make the cake. So far, so good. I don't have a problem with cake mixes although I don't use them myself--goodness, don't I sound smug! When the cake is cooked, you let it cool and poke holes in it with a fork. You make some orange flavoued jello the regular way and pour it over the cake. I don't think you wait for it to gel. After that, you mix some instant vanilla pudding (ick!!!) with milk and then with Cool Whip (ick again!). Spread this over the cake and refrigerate. The person who wrote it said that you might want to save a few sprinkles of jello powder to sprinkle on top.

Other vile things that have stayed in my mind: Deep Fried Twinkies, Deep Fried Mars Bars

What are some vile foods you love to hate? stomp skip skip

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Mars Bars En Croute Reply with quote

I'm just curious, Mrs. Brown - have you ever tried a Mars bar En Croute? I mean, Mars bars taste good, right? OK, so, if it was served (say a small portion) like cannoli , or with a filo covering - wouldn't that tempt you? Why call this "vile"?

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mars Bars En Croute Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I'm just curious, Mrs. Brown - have you ever tried a Mars bar En Croute? I mean, Mars bars taste good, right? OK, so, if it was served (say a small portion) like cannoli , or with a filo covering - wouldn't that tempt you? Why call this "vile"?

Mars Bars aren't my favourite, although I saw a recipe for Mars Bars cake that sounded pretty swell (it involved 2 melted bars mixed into the cake batter and two more melted over the cake. la la la

For me, deep-fried most things are a bit vile boo! boo! (can something be "a bit vile"?). The deep-frying seems to extract the flavour from the deep-fried thing. Actually, I guess it's the breading part I don't like. I love Chinese food where the meat is deep-fried as part of the preparation. bravo!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mars Bars En Croute Reply with quote

MEF wrote:

A Mars bar en croute would probably be not awful but that's not the same as deep fried. Deep fried implies, to me, a batter and then into a pan of bubbling oil. Since I can't eat chocolate, it's a moot point. Of course, "vile" is a completely subjective adjective and I'm sure that some people would LOVE to have a deep fried Mars bar or even a deep fried Twinkie. To me, that's just icky.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Big Mouth Faces The Music! Reply with quote

OK, since I spouted off about the deep fried Mars Bar - I think it only fair that I put my money where my mouth is! The MB is cooling in the fridge now ; I will report back (if I'm still able!).

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Deep Fried Mars Bar Reply with quote

Well, I DID IT! I made battered deep fried Mars Bar thingies - they were great! The batter (flour & cornmeal with a bit of baking soda & milk) was light and crisp and the middle was just the right meltiness. 1 bar made about 6 or 7 of these delights; the rest of the batter made great crepes.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Fried Mars Bar Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Well, I DID IT! I made battered deep fried Mars Bar thingies - they were great! The batter (flour & cornmeal with a bit of baking soda & milk) was light and crisp and the middle was just the right meltiness. 1 bar made about 6 or 7 of these delights; the rest of the batter made great crepes.

Well, I stand corrected. That does sound good--especially the part about it being melty in the middle. mmm la la la Now I wish I could eat chocolate!

When I thought of it, what I had in mind was one Mars bar dipped in a batter much like what fish is dipped in and then put into a vat of bubbling oil that's been used a few times and has that smell, you know the one, like McDonalds on an overcast day. But you can't possibly tell me that a Twinkie would be good if it were deep fried.

stomp stomp stomp skip

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Fried Mars Bar Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

When I thought of it, what I had in mind was one Mars bar dipped in a batter much like what fish is dipped in and then put into a vat of bubbling oil that's been used a few times and has that smell, you know the one, like McDonalds on an overcast day.

I too thought that the deep fried Mars bar was just one big bar dipped in fish batter. I'm relieved to hear that reason prevailed and MEF set us straight. What did you put in or on the crepes that were made from the left over batter, MEF?

MrsBrown wrote:
But you can't possibly tell me that a Twinkie would be good if it were deep fried.

Aren't boo! twinkies boo! already deepfried?? For the sort of people who actually like twinkies, I wonder if it's a hard leap for them to remember to remove the plastic wrapper before dipping the twinkies in the batter and deep frying them. whoo hoo!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Crepes Reply with quote

I put lingon sauce on the crepes, rolled them up and just bit in; even Mrs. MEF who does not like crepes or any processed berries joined in for a teeny bite! She had no trouble with the Martian Delights, however.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Twinkies Reply with quote

A hard-to-believe factoid that I found as I was looking up Twikies - "Hostess sells 500 MILLION TWIKIES EVERY YEAR" !!!!!!!!!!!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me; I was wrong. Twinkies aren't deepfried:

www.twinkies.com wrote:
Twinkies are baked. Hostess has several bakeries across the country, which together bake 500 million Twinkies each year. In order to do that, Hostess needs 8 million pounds of sugar, 7 million pounds of flour and 1 million eggs.

http://www.twinkies.com/faq.asp

What a waste of sugar, flour and eggs!!

Here is a recipe for "ALMOST TWINKIE CAKE":
http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/twinkie.htm
Hmmm. Oil, margarine AND crisco. Do you think there's enough fat?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a variation on rice crispie treat my family use-

Melt 3 mars bars, add 3 ounces of butter/m*rg*r*n* and 3 cups of rice crispies. Place in a flat shallow tray to set. For added sickliness add melted chocolate to the top and allow to set. Cut into squares and stop eating just before the nausea sets in.

The most horrible food I can think of is pineapple on pizza.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
The most horrible food I can think of is pineapple on pizza.

I love pineapple on pizza! ...as long as there is bacon and a few chili flakes as well.

The most horrible food I can think of is tapioca pudding.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Not for me, thank you. Reply with quote

Lizard, try boiled okra!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Not for me, thank you. Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
try boiled okra!

Yes, I agree that is horrid... but not as horrid as tapioca pudding.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: