discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Mars bars different in US from rest of world?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Mars bars different in US from rest of world? Reply with quote

Doing a little surfing about mars bars and I came across this site, The Visible Mars Bar Project. (In Canada, Mars Bars are like the UK version, with the "nice nougat")

Strange that the same name and wrapper would be used for different things.

Apparently the US has a completely different kind of Smarties too. (Not even chocolate Exclamation)

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mars bars different in US from rest of world? Reply with quote

blm wrote:
Strange that the same name and wrapper would be used for different things.

Perhaps this is common practice. Maybe they (that ubiquitous "they") do demographic studies to decide what should go into the various bars. (Shaking my head at the idea of Smarties not being chocolate. How wrong is that Question Question Exclamation Question )

I remember being amazed that the fruits and nuts were different from what I was used to in the Cadbury's "fruit and nut" chocolate bars we purchased in India. The chocolate was different as well - had much more stabilizer in it, making it quite waxy. And what were the fruits and nuts? Instead of almonds and raisins, as I recall there were cashews and dried apricots in the Indian version.

Cadbury Australia www.cadbury.com.au wrote:

Fruit & Nut is the second biggest-selling brand of chocolate in Australia, consisting of a delicious combination of almonds, cashews and raisins

Cadbury NZ fruit and nut chocolate bars appear to have the same ingredients as the Australian version.

I can't seem to find product information for the UK version but I gather that hazelnuts are used in the Cadbury UK "fruit and nut" chocolate bar.

Cadbury Canada www.ctai.ca wrote:

Fruit and Nut bars contain almonds and plump juicy raisins

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mars bars different in US from rest of world? Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I can't seem to find product information for the UK version but I gather that hazelnuts are used in the Cadbury UK "fruit and nut" chocolate bar.
You are correct, it's hazelnuts and raisins in the UK.
I use my KitKat ritual when eating Fruit and Nut. I slide off the paper wrapper witout tearing it and then unfold the foil which also must not be torn. After the chocolate has been eaten the paper sleeve must be folded in half as many times possible and then wrapped in the foil to make a ball which must be thrown, not placed, into a waste bin. Why are you looking at me like that? Why are you slowly backing away from me?
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: treatment of chocolate bar wrappers Reply with quote

David wrote:
Why are you looking at me like that? Why are you slowly backing away from me?

Because you are folding the outer wrapper and foil incorrectly. There are two correct methods:

1. The outer wrapper is to be removed, crumpled into as small a ball as possible and tossed into the waste paper basket. Then:
    1. The inner foil wrapper is to be removed carefully without any tearing.
    2. After eating the chocolate, the foil must be folded into a square with the shiny part facing out on both sides. All visible surfaces must be shiny.
    3. The square is then folded into an origami crane.

2. The outer wrapper is to be removed very carefully without any tearing or damaging the folds. Then:
    1. The inner foil wrapper is to be removed just as carefully.
    2. After eating the chocolate, the foil must be folded back into its original shape, making sure that air fills the area that was previously filled with chocolate.
    3. The paper sleeve is then placed just as carefully over the foil and the empty wrapper is to be placed in a tantalizing spot on the kitchen counter or a loved one's pillow.

skip stomp skip whoo hoo! skip stomp skip whoo hoo! skip stomp skip whoo hoo! skip stomp skip whoo hoo!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as long as we're quite sure we're not in the slightest bit neurotic...
when eating a foil wrapped toffee (the sort with a twist at either end) I pull the ends of the wrapper to make the centre rotate as it unwraps and then mould the foil over the end of my index finger to make a mintaure goblet with a stem and a base which I must place upright on the end of my chair arm until I have eaten the toffee. Then it must be rolled into a ball. If I do this in the theatre and drop the goblet in the dark I cannot have another toffee until I have found it. However it doesn't matter if I lose a foil ball.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: treatment of chocolate bar wrappers Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

...The paper sleeve is then placed just as carefully over the foil and the empty wrapper is to be placed in a tantalizing spot on the kitchen counter or a loved one's pillow.

Heee heeeeee! la la la la la la skip stomp

But neither of you really has described the correct way to eat KitKat. The chocolate must be eaten one quarter at a time as follows: the chocolate at the ends must be eaten first, then if there's a chocolate edge, that must be eaten separately, in as large shards as possible, then the biscuit part. My handling of the paper is similar to David, although I leave it in a long narrow shape for dart-like flinging.

But I am strangely attracted by llizard's second method ....

stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp la la la

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here's something that freaked me out a little. I asked "She-who-must-be-obeyed" to pick up a bar of Fruit & Nut today but what I was handed was not at all what I expected. It was a "Fruit and Nut King Size" containing raisins and whole almonds (not hazelnuts) in huge man-sized chunks that presented a serious risk of a dislocated jaw with every bite. The worst part was having no paper sleeve and folded foil inner wrapper, instead the bar was enclosed in a nasty glossy plastic wrapper sealed at the ends with a seam running alongthe lenght to the back. How am I supposed to take that off without tearing it? It won't even stay in a ball when I crumple it so I can't even throw it. What were Cadbury's thinking? The whole world's gone mad. Life's tough enough without chocolate related trauma. Did I ever mention my nightmare Toblerone experience?
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
... the bar was enclosed in a nasty glossy plastic wrapper sealed at the ends with a seam running along the lenght to the back. How am I supposed to take that off without tearing it?...

In one hand you hold the back seam at one end and in the other hand you hold the end on the other side. You pull these apart carefully, and the top seam should split apart without tearing. Then you push out the chocolate from the end very carefully (there's a risk still of tearing the wrapper, and also a risk of getting the chocolate a bit scuffed). la la la

David wrote:
It won't even stay in a ball when I crumple it so I can't even throw it. ...

Once you have the tube, you can sort of fold it in on itself. But it's nowhere near as satisfying as proper foil. This is indeed a nasty trend boo! boo! .

I'd like to hear your Toblerone experience ... I find chocolate-related trauma curiously engaging bravo! .

stomp stomp stomp

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:

I'd like to hear your Toblerone experience ... I find chocolate-related trauma curiously engaging

Okay, here goes - my first group therapy session.
For my 14th birthday one of my sisters gave me a large Toblerone and I decided to take it with me to school. During registration I was sat at the back of the classroom reading a magazine about fast cars. Okay, I admit it, it was mainly girls in bikinis. Absentmindedly I opened the Toblerone to eat. In hindsight it would have made sense to break a piece off first but 14 year old male brains are easily distracted. It all started going wrong when I attempted to bite off the first very large triangular chunk. This resulted in the point of the triangle poking into the roof of my mouth and the second chunk poking up between my top lip and gum. Unable to close my mouth, a mixture of saliva and chocolate began to dribble out of my mouth. My second mistake was to attempt to gnaw through the chocolate between the first and second triangles. The chocolate peaks stopped my teeth from closing sufficiently to accomplish this. Then I had the bright idea of using my lower teeth as a saw and jiggled the Toblerone back and forth against them. The result of this was copious amounts of saliva, melted chocolate and chocolate crumbs covering the lower half of my face and dripping onto my magazine. By now my choking and slurping noises had by now begun to attract attention and prompted by the fear of embarrassment and the vain hope that I could end the whole nightmare quickly I make a colossal blunder. Tilting my head back to stop the dribbling, I pushed the bar further into my mouth to try to bite off the second at the same time. I don't know what I was thinking, possibly that if I got as much melted chocolate into my mouth that I could somehow contain the problem. I don't know. As you would expect, it triggered the gag reflex and I instinctively pulled the whole sloppy mess out of my mouth completely ruining my magazine and to a chorus of jeers and laughter, I pushed it back into it's box. Apparently it helps to talk about these things. Apparently.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Death by Toblerone Reply with quote

Wow! I didn't think you could top your famous "funny boots" post - but you have! Will make a great scene in you forthcoming autobiography!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skip Is it wrong to laugh uncontrollably during someone else's therapy session?

David wrote:
Apparently it helps to talk about these things. Apparently.

Never mind.... Apparently it is wrong. oops. stomp stomp stomp

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: