discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Things that freak me out

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Things that freak me out Reply with quote

Originally posted by CAM on Aug 3, 04 - 12:31 AM

One thing that freaked me out today was visiting llizard's forum on bravenet and having an add talk to me. Talk quite loudly... This is too much.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: That doesn't just freak me out - it also makes me furious Reply with quote

Originally posted by llizard on Aug 3, 04 - 10:46 AM

What?!??? An ad talked? I always have my speakers turned off so had no idea that anyone would be so idiotic to do this sort of thing.

Okay, that does it... I guess this means I'm going to have to look for another host. WHAT a drag! Until that happens, please make sure your speakers are turned down or off when you come into this forum.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: I wouldn't worry about it Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Aug 3, 04 - 1:13 PM

Popups and talking popups aren't completely unavoidable even if they're not on a particular website. Although I don't like them, I don't associate or avoid particular websites with them.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I wouldn't worry about it Reply with quote

Originally posted by CAM on Aug 3, 04 - 9:12 PM

I don't think it's freaky enough to move the forum. In fact, I think she is gone now. We were rather spoiled on the other forum which was very discreet. Really too bad it got spammed. There are some features about the new forum that are positive.

What I do like are pages that play music or have sound effects -- provided there is a relatively easy way to turn off the sound. See e.g. llizard's stormy night -- I love that page.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I wouldn't worry about it Reply with quote

Originally posted by llizard on Aug 4, 04 - 10:48 AM

I am not keen to move again so soon. There are plenty of good things about this forum. But I still think it's important that Bravenet and SitePal be made aware that they are potentially driving visitors away rather than toward their sites. So I wrote to Bravenet about the SitePal ad and received a reply saying that my letter was being forwarded to their "advertising department for review and consideration". (At least this is a better reply than the flat-out "no" from a previous letter I wrote to Bravenet requesting a 'familysafe' option on the ads.)

I also wrote to SitePal but have not yet received a reply from them.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Hey, there really ain't no free lunch Reply with quote

Originally posted by MEF on Aug 3, 04 - 2:35 PM

I cannot imagine anyone running servers and providing services that they have to pay for without charging for them. Bravenet offers a variety of options beginning with their $4.95/mo service (10 MB of bandwidth/200MB of disc space). They also offer a "free" deal (500 MB of bandwidth/20 MB disk space)in exchange for running their own ads. It seems unreasonable to me to ask for either of these sevices without paying.

I thought that the talking ad was kind of cool. I cannot disclose here what I asked 'her' to say as it was a trifle naughty.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, there really ain't no free lunch Reply with quote

originally posted by llizard on Aug 3, 04 - 5:36 PM

Of course I understand the need for the advertisements if I'm not paying cold hard cash to bravenet. I'm not expecting to get something for nothing. But surely it's enough that the highly distracting ad images are strewn all over the message board. Sound really doesn't have to figure into the barage as well, does it?

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Things that freak me out Reply with quote

Originally posted by MrsBrown on Aug 3, 04 - 12:38 PM

Related Website: http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/deepfriedtwinkies.shtml

How fortuitous that you started this thread! Here's another thing that freaked me out when I read it. And Americans wonder why they have a problem with obesity.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Things that freak me out Reply with quote

Originally posted by David on Aug 5, 04 - 9:46 AM

For at least the last 15 years people in Scotland have been deep frying Mars Bars (think Snickers without the nuts) in batter. It sounds a most repulsive idea but after trying one last year I have to admit that it does actually work. The semi melted chocolate and toffee inside a golden crispy coating is an interesting mixture. However, I did become nauseous halfway through and had to throw it away. Scotland has the highest incidence of heart disease in Europe. Coincidence?

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Mars bar cake Reply with quote

Originally posted by blm on Aug 5, 04 - 11:10 PM

I once saw a recipe for a Mars bar cake. I just tried to find it on the net but only found things mixing mars bars with rice krispies. The Mars bar cake recipe I saw had about 4 Mars bars melted into the cake batter, and then the frosting was a few more Mars bars melted together and swirled over the cake.

It made me feel a bit sick just to read it, but at the same time I sort of wanted to try just a little piece.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Mars Bar treats Reply with quote

Originally posted by David on Aug 6, 04 - 6:21 AM

Here's an old family favourite:-

3 Mars Bars
    3 ounces of butter
    3 cups of Rice Crispies

You know what to do.

I guess Snickers would be a nice alternative.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: