discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

chili
Go to page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you like your chili?
hot hot hot - can I have some extra chillies please?
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
hot hot hot over spaghetti: Skyline 5-way style
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
hot hot hot with cheese and cornbread
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
mild with wonderbread - pick out the beans please
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
medium hot Bflat chilli for me please (chilli is good though)
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
chili??? oooh no thanks. it's too spicy for me
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: chili Reply with quote

I cleaned the freezer yesterday and discovered that we have FOUR containers of chili (woohooo!!). We decided that we just have to try the Skyline Diner's idea and have chili and spaghetti. whoo hoo!

http://www.skylinechili.com/skyline_essentials.php

I think we'll try 5-way... we might use bigger plates than in the photo on the above page. And ummm - I think perhaps a little less cheddar.

How is one supposed to eat that without spilling all over the place? la la la

our chili recipe

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:05 am; edited 3 times in total
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to answer the poll but I can't because I don't eat cheddar cheese. Havarti with jalapeno, yes, but not cheddar. Here is my answer--hot chili (not hot hot hot) with havarti jalapeno and cornbread. Mmmm

I think I'll make chili on the weekend. I have a similar recipe except that I use canned beans (one can of black beans) and because we like to eat vegetarian food, I use a block of tofu, grated. Sometimes, I add cubes of winter squash among the other vegetables I add--carrots, green beans, radishes, zucchini, red pepper. Delicious! Sometimes I throw in a chipotle pepper because I like the smoky flavour. la la la

MicheleCerulli
registered

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that we eat chilly that much around here, but I had some on sunday, it was quite good...and heavy!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
because we like to eat vegetarian food, I use a block of tofu, grated.

MrsBrown, I changed the poll question (you probably can't vote again though)

boo! tofu boo! ?? in the chili??? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee stomp

I do like a bit of meat in chili but ours is mostly beans. I usually use kidney, black, pinto, navy beans. One of my colleagues uses brown lentils to replace the ground meat in her chili sans carne

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MicheleCerulli wrote:
Not that we eat chilly that much around here, but I had some on sunday, it was quite good...and heavy!

Did you have it with bread or pasta?

MicheleCerulli
registered

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
MicheleCerulli wrote:

Did you have it with bread or pasta?

With rice, tadah! whoo hoo! skip happy

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't vote in the poll as it doesn't have a medium hot option. I used to like it hot hot (not hot hot hot) but now sadly both hot hot and hot give me intense stomach pains. As long as it's medium hot enough to make my nose run I'm happy. My favourite use of chilli is in enchaldas and fajitas. Don't you just love to say that word? "FAJITAS!!!!" And yes, I will be spelling "chilli" that way.
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

MrsBrown, I changed the poll question (you probably can't vote again though)

boo! tofu boo! ?? in the chili??? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee stomp

One of my colleagues uses brown lentils to replace the ground meat in her chili sans carne

boo! brown lentils boo! brrrrr

I made the tofu chili at Thanksgiving and the bowl was scraped almost clean by people who have indicated they can't abide tofu. They didn't scrape it clean because they were full--they left about a quarter cup of chili. What good is that amount? Perhaps I could have had a nice chili fajita (yes, David, I love to say the word "fajita") for lunch the following day.

BTW, llizard, I haven't voted yet. I'm not sure what "Bflat chili" means. Does it mean "not very good chili"? or "run-of-the-mill chili" or perhaps "chili just the way I like it" Question I want an option that says "medium hot with grated cheese and cornbread".

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
they left about a quarter cup of chili. What good is that amount? Perhaps I could have had a nice chili fajita (yes, David, I love to say the word "fajita") for lunch the following day.

Yes, fajita fajita fajita fajita fajita whoo hoo! would be good with that little bit of extra chili. - as long as the tofu has been well hidden.

Do you use firm tofu, MrsBrown? If so, then tofu in chilli would be tolerable.

But what I like to do with small amounts of leftover chili is to make cheese snacks:

1. lightly toast bread and put it on a wire rack that is on a cookie sheet

2. put sliced cheese (monterey jack or cheddar) on toast

3. add a spoonful of chili on top

4. put a small piece of cheese on top of that

5. broil til cheese is melted

bravo! Brown lentils bravo!

edit: Skyline diner style chili is WONDERFUL. A little finely diced raw onion on top is a very nice touch.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehe I came in as myself to vote for skyline chili because I had already voted in the poll skip skip

-llizard

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Skyline 5-way", "wonderbread", "Bflat" sound all the more attractive for being unavailable locally.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
"Skyline 5-way", "wonderbread", "Bflat" sound all the more attractive for being unavailable locally.

You should be glad glad glad that "wonderbread" is unavailable locally. It is unavailable here in this house too but only because I won't allow the dreadful stuff beyond the front door.

boo! Wonderbread... boo!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MicheleCerulli wrote:

I'm curious. Did you make the chilly and/or is it similar to the standard North American chile con carne? (ie: a stew of tomatoes, meat, kidney beans, hot chilies, etc. etc.)

Rice, eh? Well, I guess that would be good but with cornbread is really the best.

our recipe for cornbread:
http://etherwork.net/recipes/quickbread.html#cornmeal

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I wish I hadn't voted. I am boo! ashamed boo! to say that I allowed the poll to control me into picking the closest thing to the way I like chili (chilli? can't decide on the spelling). I picked "hot hot hot with cheese and cornbread", when what I wanted to pick was "medium hot with grated cheese and cornbread". bravo!

Hmm, maybe it's ok. We don't know what scale "hot hot hot" is on. Maybe there's a "hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot" that's not mentioned in the poll. Ahh, now I feel better. Although if that's true, I actually prefer hot hot hot hot hot. AUGHGHHGHGHGHG!

hohoho la la la hohoho

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to report one bad after-effect of Skyline 5-way chili. A seriously bad after-effect.

We had read that "oyster crackers" were sprinkled on top so naturally, we had to get oyster crackers. They appear not to be available in Canada but there is a cracker called fishy crackers (goldfish crackers) that is pretty much the same thing. -picture of fishy crackers:
http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_pages/0037-0409-2712-4622.html

Of course, the grocery store had horrible Christmas songs playing over their speaker system as we wandered down cracker aisle. There is also a HORRIBLE song for these crackers that is played on TV ads. It's much worse than any of the
autorepeat songs started by David on the advent calendar thread Well. Actually it's not worse than one of the songs....

Yes. I have two songs autorepeating S I M U L T A N E O U S L Y

Feliz Navidade! Feliz Navi ...
    ... when you bite their little heads off
    Feliz Navidad!
    ... you can la la la la la ...

and the really terrible thing is that I only know one line of the boo! fishy crackers theme song boo! and one line of boo! F---z N-v--d-d boo! So not only are these two things running simultaneously but they are running on very short loops simultaneously. NEITHER of them resolve!! stomp stomp stomp (I'm NEVER having skyline diner style chili again!)

-------------------------
So. Did it work? Are you now as miserable as I? skip skip skip hohoho skip hohoho

edit: I FINALLY found the lyrics for the goldfish crackers and it turns out that I don't even have that one line right... (don't even think about going to the pepperidge farms goldfish page - unless you are a big fan of flash)

http://www.marmalade.ca/archives/000703.html

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: