discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Horrifying vanilla
Go to page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

I knew there were differing qualities of vanilla extract, but never new that "pure vanilla extract" might have corn syrup in it! I didn't read the ingredients, and yesterday I ruined a recipe. As I poured in the requisite two teaspoonsful sp I realized it smelled odd. By then too late. I tasted the result... horrible. Had to start over by asking Mr. CAM to go out for new vanilla.

Never again will I assume anything about "pure vanilla extract." The offending stuff wasn't cheap, either!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: vanilla extract Reply with quote

Well, CAM, when you extract, you gotta extact. Like this:
# The vanilla bean is the fruit of a tropical American species of orchid. It is the only orchid which produces anything edible and there are more than 20,000 orchid varieties.
# The plant produces one flower which lasts for only one day. If it is not pollinated, it will be another year before it flowers again.
# After the flower is pollinated (usually by hand using a wooden 'needle'), it takes about 6 weeks for the bean pod to develop and reach full size (6 to 10 inches), and another 9 months to mature.
# The pods are then hand picked, and dipped immediately in boiling water to stop growth. Initially, the vanilla bean has no flavor or aroma. The beans must be cured by heating in the sun during the day and wrapping them to sweat at night, for up to 20 days.
# They are then air dried in trays for 4 to 6 months, and during this process the beans ferment and develop their unique aroma and flavor.
# The cured pods contain about 2% vanillin (the main flavor component), oleoresin, sugar, aldehydes, alcohols, esters, etc., which all contribute to its unique aroma and flavor.
# The cured beans are then crushed and the the flavors extracted with with water and alcohol.
Then you get to use it; if you don't like the process, get the bean, and have a go at it yourself.

Last edited by Mats on Wed 22 Dec, 2004 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vanilla extract Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I knew there were differing qualities of vanilla extract, but never new that "pure vanilla extract" might have corn syrup in it!

MEF wrote:
Well, CAM, when you extract, you gotta exrtact.
# The cured beans are then crushed and the the flavors extracted with with water and alcohol. ....

Nothing about corn syrup boo! in any of that process.

Ugh, CAM. I just looked at the label on our vanilla extract, and it has sugar in it (higher on the list than vanilla). But it seems to work ok, so maybe sugar isn't as bad as corn syrup.

From the list of ingredients on our "pure vanilla extract", I guess the "pure" just refers to the "vanilla bean extractives" ingredient among all the other non-vanilla ingredients. The French name on our bottle is "extrait de vanille pur" - I would have expected "extrait pur de vanille", so maybe the English version is actually extract of pure vanilla. I'm making myself dizzy ...

skip

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: vanilla extract Reply with quote

blm wrote:
..."pure vanilla extract" with corn syrup...

I am unhappy to notice that my Watkins' brand "pure vanilla extract" has corn syrup in it, too.

The ordinary vanilla extract from the grocery store has only "pure vanilla extract" and alcohol -- I will stick to that in the absence of a handy vanilla bean which sounds a bit costly for my own uses of vanilla.

Last edited by CAM on Tue 28 Dec, 2004 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: vanilla extract Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I understand that you can get vanilla bean -- I have seen them scrape it out of a pod on cooking shows. I've never seen it to buy anywhere, though. Perhaps I have not looked...

I have seen vanilla beans at the high end stores in the Market. They are extremely expensive. We bought some years and years ago and put them into a tiny bottle (the size that comes with airplane drinks) of quite good vodka. The vodka turned into a really amazing vanilla extract.

It never occurred to me that vanilla extract would have any sugar at all!

edit: I just looked and the ingredients on our vanilla extract bottle are:

water, alcohol, sugar, vanilla bean extracts

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Wed 22 Dec, 2004 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: vanilla extract Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

It never occurred to me that vanilla extract would have any sugar at all!

edit: I just looked and the ingredients on our vanilla extract bottle are:

water, alcohol, sugar, vanilla bean extracts

I sent MrBrown to the store once to get some vanilla. I was very specific in saying "Artificial vanilla extract isn't very good. Please make sure you get 'pure vanilla extract'". I was quite irked with him when he brought back artificial vanilla extract. His argument was that artificial vanilla extract has no sugar and vanilla extract does.

Here are the ingredients: Vanilla Extract: water, alcohol, sugar, vanilla bean extractives.

Artificial Vanilla Extract: water, alcohol, caramel colour, artificial flavour

Since he believes that sugar is the Root Of All Evil, he decided that we should have artificial vanilla extract, not that he eats anything I put vanilla in as he doesn't eat cookies, cakes, etc. that might have vanilla. He's reading over my shoulder and says that he puts vanilla in his hot milk sometimes.

We were given some vanilla extract from Mexico and even that had sugar in it. I was quite surprised.

Perhaps we have to go to very high end stores to find real vanilla extract that has no sugar. Perhaps I'll make some of my own vanilla extract the way that llizard suggested...but then I'll have to find some vanilla beans. Maybe Santa will bring me some hohoho

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Vanilla Beans Reply with quote

I've noticed that quite a few of the mainline supermarkets here now sell vanilla beans. They come in a glass tube and go for about $7.00CAD for two.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I knew there were differing qualities of vanilla extract, but never new that "pure vanilla extract" might have corn syrup in it! I didn't read the ingredients, and yesterday I ruined a recipe. As I poured in the requisite two teaspoonsful sp I realized it smelled odd. By then too late. I tasted the result... horrible. Had to start over by asking Mr. CAM to go out for new vanilla.

Never again will I assume anything about "pure vanilla extract." The offending stuff wasn't cheap, either!

I wrote an email to the company who made the vanilla, telling them that I didn't like their product. They were kind enough to write back to explain that there was always alcohol in vanilla extract (even though I hadn't protested the alcohol, only the corn syrup). They said that vanilla was their life, and they wanted to send me some more vanilla and that I should be sure to shake it before using! I forgot about the vanilla incident until a package arrived in the mail yesterday. My son said "Why did you order vanilla through the mail?!" I denied this, then realized that indeed the vanilla company had sent me a large bottle of vanilla, identical in every way to the bottle that I had poured down the drain. I shook it, but it still smelled very odd. I asked my daughter to smell it, and she said "eugh; weird" (or something like that)

By the way, this wonderful company that makes horrible vanilla goes by the name of Rodelle, which their bottle says was established in 1936. That's a long time to produce horrid vanilla. The Rodelle people seem to believe fervently in their product and they have the best company PR I've ever experienced after a complaint.

I don't know what to do with this bottle, now. It certainly can't be used even to dab behind the ears as I seem to recall Scarlett O'Hara doing when she was in straightened circumstances. Or was that someone else?

I went out and bought some ordinary "pure vanilla extract" from the grocery store. It had no corn syrup, tasted fine, and was much cheaper than the Rodelle true-believers' product. I am hesitant to say anything bad about this company after they treated me so nicely. Perhaps some of their other products are good: http://www.customblendinginc.com/index.html

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

I wrote an email to the company who made the vanilla, telling them that I didn't like their product. They were kind enough to write back to explain that there was always alcohol in vanilla extract (even though I hadn't protested the alcohol, only the corn syrup).
[SNIP]
I am hesitant to say anything bad about this company after they treated me so nicely.

While it's commendable that the company did get back to you AND sent you a free replacement of their questionable vanilla extract, one small thing bothers me. They did not address the corn syrup issue at all. (And the reply about the alcohol implies that perhaps they get complaints about their extract often....)

I would be inclined to send the syrup-infested vanilla extract back to them with a polite "Thanks but no thanks" letter explaining that you do not care for the smell or taste of things made with their cornsyrup laced product.

I've only once before had a similar response from a company. Many years ago, I bought a very small roll of bookbinding tape - the kind with the fabric backing. All of it was defective (the backing came off with the sticky side leaving nothing sticky and no backing). I wrote to the company (I think it was "Scotch" but I'm afraid I have forgotten) and enclosed the defective roll. About a month later, a largish package arrived with the most humungous roll of perfectly good bookbinding tape (not the same colour as I had bought but who can complain about colour choices with free things?) and an invoice with the markings "customer complaint". That roll of tape lasted for years!!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I would be inclined to send the syrup-infested vanilla extract back to them with a polite "Thanks but no thanks" letter explaining that you do not care for the smell or taste of things made with their cornsyrup laced product.

Yes, I noticed that they didn't address the corn syrup issue. And I did think of sending back the vanilla, but that would require work and postage, and I am not sufficiently committed to the vanilla cause. While vanilla may be their life, it has only occasional relevance to mine.

It has occurred to me that the vanilla may be very strong, and that I should use less than the recipe calls for. However, I do not know that I wish to experiment with it again.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
Yes, I noticed that they didn't address the corn syrup issue. And I did think of sending back the vanilla, but that would require work and postage, and I am not sufficiently committed to the vanilla cause. While vanilla may be their life, it has only occasional relevance to mine.

Well, perhaps a letter thanking them for the vanilla and pointing out that unfortunately you will have to pour it down the drain because it has corn syrup in it and it therefore smells and tastes strange. I'm just thinking that this company should know, that in spite of the many years of vanilla making, their clientele is not as satisfied as the company appears to imagine.

Of course, this may invite a response of an even larger bottle of horrible vanilla.

edit: I was just reading the link to Rodelle vanilla on http://www.customblendinginc.com/

Rodelle Vanilla page wrote:
Due to the severe increase of vanilla bean prices, and the effect that it has had on the retail
sector, Custom Blending, Inc. is pleased to offer our new Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract. It meets the highest of standards and achieves a lower price point.

so while Rodelle vanilla was first developed in 1936, it's looking like they may be playing fast and loose with the recipe. Note that they are calling the vanilla extract "new".

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
...so while Rodelle vanilla was first developed in 1936, it's looking like they may be playing fast and loose with the recipe. Note that they are calling the vanilla extract "new".

I don't have the new gourmet vanilla extract. I have something called "Pure Vanilla Extract." (photo top left at http://www.customblendinginc.com/retailproducts.htm) They weren't cheap -- they sent the 8 ounce size, but of course it was sent to Canada so it's labelled 237 ml. They didn't know they'd sent the same size Mr. CAM had purchased.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

I was cleaning out the box in which the company sent the vanilla, and discovered a letter and a cheque for the amount of the vanilla Mr. CAM had purchased! Unfortunately I think this is a US cheque -- around $12 US dollars.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I [...] discovered a letter and a cheque for the amount of the vanilla Mr. CAM had purchased! Unfortunately I think this is a US cheque -- around $12 US dollars.

Wow!! That is

1. expensive vanilla
  2. very generous of the company to refund AND send replacement bottle

I'm sure the cheque can be cashed at any bank. It will just have to be through an actual teller because it is in foreign currency.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrifying vanilla Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
CAM wrote:
I [...] discovered a letter and a cheque for the amount of the vanilla Mr. CAM had purchased! Unfortunately I think this is a US cheque -- around $12 US dollars.

Wow!! That is

1. expensive vanilla
  2. very generous of the company to refund AND send replacement bottle

I'm sure the cheque can be cashed at any bank. It will just have to be through an actual teller because it is in foreign currency.

Yes, very expensive! This is why I wrote to the company. If it had been cheap vanilla (which I now have and it is very satisfactory) I would not have remarked on it at all. Next time I'm at the bank I'll see whether there are any special fees for cashing a foreign cheque.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: