discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Quails

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Quails Reply with quote

OK, have any o you bold cooks out there tried cooking quails? I just bought a package of 6 frozen birds. They are some tiny! I got a little intimiated by the whole de-boning thing ; I'll give another go today.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Quails Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
OK, have any o you bold cooks out there tried cooking quails?

I'm not much into cooking, but I love eating. But quails are not for the faint of heart, even for eating. I ordered quail in a restaurant once, but there were so many itty bitty bones that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I don't order quail. Let alone cook it!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone who orders quail in a restaurant only ever does it once. After twenty minutes of painstaking disection I had managed to obtain about a teaspoonful of meat from each bird. I think the amount of calories I used probably exceeded the calorific content of the meal. The taste was pleasant enough, a little like pheasant, but the whole experience of quail was deeply disappointing. It was the only time eating a meal has made my hands ache.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
After twenty minutes of painstaking disection I had managed to obtain about a teaspoonful of meat from each bird.

Yes, I recall this, too. Not my idea of fun. When I go to a restaurant I prefer it when someone else does the work. I have a similar prejudice regarding fondue. Too many tiny pieces of things that fall into the oil.

Speaking of tiny pieces of things -- am in Thailand again at the moment where everything is cut up so that all you have to do is shovel it in with a spoons. The Thais really know how to make things easy.

Except when you need something from a bureacratic office -- but don't get me started.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Hmmmm.... Reply with quote

My, you guys are really enthusiastic! I am starting to re-think the whole affair now.

Mrs MEF
not logged in

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quails Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
OK, have any o you bold cooks out there tried cooking quails? I just bought a package of 6 frozen birds. They are some tiny! I got a little intimiated by the whole de-boning thing ; I'll give another go today.

Mr MEF quailed at the prospect of dealing with the tiny things, so I had a go yesterday. It took me about 3/4 of an hour to debone the first one (with the help of a few websites dealing with deboning quails, chickens and turkeys respectively). The second one took about 15 minutes, and after that they took about 5 minutes. I reckon those are the last quails I will ever debone.

Or eat. I didn't much like the flavour of the quails. And the meat was quite tough. Maybe the toughness was due to the cooking, but it didn't really seem like the toughness of overcooking.

On the plus side, this marinade from Epicurious was lovely bravo!. The amount that dripped from the birds into the frying pan created a lovely sauce. The sauce that the recipe comes with wasn't nearly as good as the pan drippings. I'll try this marinade again with chicken. (I used white wine instead of red, and ShaoXing Chinese cooking wine (very similar to sherry) instead of port.)

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: I second that emotion Reply with quote

In the end, it wasn't the bones (most were gone, thanks to Mrs. MEF) but the flavour that was the quail downfall. Eating (with your hands) was quite easy, but the taste was not at all what I expected. Ah, well , off to conquer other rare foods!

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Quails Reply with quote

MEF wrote:

I thought maybe the thread was too old when I saw it for the first time a few days ago. I see it's been revived, so here goes.

Several years ago in a restaurant called Mildred Pierce here in Toronto I ordered quail as an appetizer. I think the plate had something like 3 quails (maybe two?) They were fabulous. They had simply butterflied the birds and marinated them in what I took to be a good teriyaki sauce. (Basically, soya sauce boiled with for a time with fresh ginger, garlic and a good amount of something sweet - brown sugar, honey or even white sugar will do). Then they threw them onto a hot part of a charcoal grill to cook. When done they were a nice dark mahogany colour. Slightly charred around the edges. A little salty a little sweet. Nice and smoky. Just like good BBQ should be.

What I loved was that every piece was tender and succulent. Definitely finger food too because I had to pick up each bird and tear it apart and take small bites around the bone. Sort of like eating chicken wings - but smaller. You know the saying "the closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat"??? These little guys epitomized.

I see them all the time in the specialty poultry store in our wonderful Kennsington. Usually about $7.00 for eight birds, I think. Every summer when I get the BBQ ready for another season I always think. "I just gotta do quails this year." *** This year I will for sure.*** (Well. I'm pretty sure, anyway.) And if I don't I lose.

- DataRyder

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Hmmm....maybe fresh, this time Reply with quote

OK, DR, you've thrown down the gauntlet; I'll give these birds another go. This time, however, I'll get fresh, deboned birds.

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm....maybe fresh, this time Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
....I'll get fresh, deboned birds.

Hey, MEF

Just my two bones worth. happy

Deboning isn't necessary, imo. Would the folks in here debone a chicken wing?

Maybe when the weather gets a little warmer butterfly the little suckers along the backbone and marinate. Then find a good hot BBQ pit, cook 'em up and go to town. Just eat around the edges. Finger food at it's best.

DR

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Quails Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:

I thought maybe the thread was too old when I saw it for the first time a few days ago.

Oh my no! It has only been going a couple of weeks!

I have to say that I'm in the "too many bones" camp of quail eaters (non-eaters?). I also can't even begin to imagine deboning these little birds. It seems like way too much work!

That marinade looks pretty good, Mrs MEF. Maybe the quails you had needed to marinate longer? Perhaps they would have been less tough?

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Thu 03 Mar, 2005 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs MEF
not logged in

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quails Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
That marinade looks pretty good, Mrs MEF. Maybe the quails you had needed to marinate longer? Perhaps they would have been less tough?

They marinated from 10 am to 6:30 pm, in the "fridge" (that is, outside on the balcony - maybe it was a bit too cold). The recipe did suggest "or overnight" though, presumably at least until the next noon (who has quails for breakfast Question )

I have to say that DataRyder's paean of praise for quails has made me rethink this.

Bramble
registered

Slogan:

Australians Wouldn't Give A Bramble For Anything Else.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL, over a month old, but I wasnt a part of the discussion to begin with.

I once had a quail curry at a restaurant called the Taj Mahal in, well, Rangoon. it was a small bowl of delicious yellow curry with one bird in pieces in the sauce. I found it absolutely fantastic.
the only drawback (or perhaps it was the best part) was the look on my companion's face when she saw I was actually sucking on the head of the little birdy, beak and all. I didnt make an attempt to crack 'er open... but it was a delightful experience nonetheless.

DR, I agree with you, the closer the bone the sweeter the meat.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: