discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

problem with MSN messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: problem with MSN messenger Reply with quote

I am in Cambodia at an internet cafe. No one here speaks enough English to help me. I can't speak Cambodian.

I have somehow inadvertently instructed MSN messenger to sign on automatically whenever MSN messenger is opened (or had a computer that is set to do this to people) I have changed the password to prevent anyone getting into my hotmail account.

howeer, my hotmail address is prominently displayed to anyone who opens msn messenger on this computer. I'd like to clear whatever cookie or file that is doing it.

I can't figure how to how to stop this from happening. I have used google to search for help, and none of the advice works.

The computer is loaded with Windows XP. Any advice from any of you computer geeks? I don't really want to have to change my hotmail address, but I can't stand the thought that some ~p~or~n~ nut in the hotel would decide to write to me because it's a handy address that pops up everytime MSN is opened.

Do people know what I'm talking about? MSN is such a handy way to talk to family when far away, and virtually every computer in every internet cafe in the world has it. Globalization run amok, I know, but still nice when away.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you change your password? And/or can you get into the Tools menu to access the privacy tab? I don't have MSN so don't know much about it at all.

msn FAQ wrote:

To prevent your MSN Messenger contacts list and tab information from being stored on a computer, do the following:

1. In the main MSN Messenger window, click the Tools menu, and then click Options.
2. Click the Privacy tab, and then click the This is a shared computer so don't display my tabs and This is a shared computer so don't store my address book, display picture, or background on it check boxes.

Choose the MSN Messenger privacy setting that requires Hotmail and other Passport-enabled Web pages to ask you for your password instead of signing you in automatically. To do this:

1. In the main MSN Messenger window, click the Tools menu, and then click Options.
2. Click the Privacy tab, and then click the Always ask me for my password when checking Hotmail or opening other .NET Passport-enabled Web pages check box.

If you can do this, make the recommended changes and then refresh the page while holding the shift key down. I don't know if that will work or not. Good luck!!! la la la

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Tue 08 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could try removing the password by clicking the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Remove password' and remove your saved .net password. Then restart Messenger to see if it worked.

If you'd like to add me to your msn contacts I'm david.666palmer@ntlworld.com.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good, you're here, David. I thought perhaps you had an MSN messenger connection. You will be much more able to help! I feel way too much like the blind trying to lead the blind.

On a side note, sorry if any of you are having problems with blank pages and having to hit reload. Crosswinds has made some changes overnight that weren't supposed to affect any scripts. Sadly, my scripts are affected. Yes, the "M" in my last name does indeed stand for "Murphy".

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Tue 08 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to try might be to click on the Tools tab in MSN Messenger and then select Options, then General. You might be able to deselect a box labelled "Allow automatic sign in......". Also shutdown and restart to test if it works.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: problem with MSN messenger Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I am in Cambodia at an internet cafe. No one here speaks enough English to help me. I can't speak Cambodian.

howeer, my hotmail address is prominently displayed to anyone who opens msn messenger on this computer. I'd like to clear whatever cookie or file that is doing it.

Could you create a new temporary hotmail address and get the computer to remember that one instead of yours?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all. Now a long way from Phnom Penh. Changed the password so at least people can't get into my mail or use my messenger easily. I think I tried all the advice you provided, and then just gave up in order to pack my bags and get some sleep before leaving PP. I hope newer versions of messenger address this problem. Now very difficult to figure out how to get into the cookies of a computer using Windows XP. On older versions you used to be abele to get rid of these kinds of cookes quite easily if one inadvertently set one. Older versions of messenger seemed to also anticipate this problem. I hate dis-improvements.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: