discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Tea Biscuits

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Tea Biscuits Reply with quote

I went to a Book Club meeting on Friday night. We were discussing Deafening by Frances Itani. We try to bring food that matches the book in some way. The book is set in Ontario during WW1 and the main character's family has a hotel where they serve tea daily. I decided that nothing could be more appropriate than tea biscuits.

I was watching 30 Minute Meals the other day and Rachael Ray made biscuits from a mix (I make mine from scratch stomp ) but added freshly ground black pepper and asiago cheese to the dry ingredients before she added cream as the liquid. She suggested making small ones for a party as an appetizer. I was enchanted with the idea so made the biscuits as she suggested. bravo! bravo! They were wonderful Exclamation Exclamation I made tiny ones about 1 inch in diameter--I used a shot glass as a cutter. I served them on an attractive glass plate along with some honey plum jam that I had made last summer. The sweet with the salt of the asiago cheese was excellent! My friends gobbled them up and then we had dinner (roasted pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes, green beans, excellent green salad followed by blueberry pumpkin pound cake). I love pot luck dinners.

whoo hoo! Tea Biscuits with Asiago Cheese and Black Pepper whoo hoo!

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter or shortening
a handful or two of grated asiago cheese
ground pepper (whatever you think appropriate--MrBrown thought I used too much but my friends and I thought it was perfect--I used about 2? tsp)
1 scant cup cream (or milk)

Mix the dry ingredients together. Rub in the butter until it resembles meal. Add the cheese and black pepper. Make a well and add the cream. Stir until it forms into a ball. Knead VERY briefly and cut into shapes. Bake at 425 for about 12 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature with jam.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bravo! great bravo! (I almost typed "grate") idea to add asiago to tea biscuits!! I've often added medium cheddar but I bet a drier aged cheese would be fantastic.

MrsBrown wrote:
I served them on an attractive glass plate along with some honey plum jam that I had made last summer

Mmmmmmmm!! Any chance that you might post that recipe? skip

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

MrsBrown wrote:
I served them on an attractive glass plate along with some honey plum jam that I had made last summer

Mmmmmmmm!! Any chance that you might post that recipe? skip

Ok! whoo hoo! la la la skip stomp

Small-Batch Honey-Plum Jam

3 cups pitted and coarsely chopped purple plums (about 1 lb)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp liquid honey

In heavy saucepan, combine plums, sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; boil, stirring and mashing occasionally with back of a spoon, 15 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from heat; stir in honey. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in tightly covered jars up to 2 weeks.

I put the jam in small jars and freeze. It makes about 2 cups in total. I tried making 3 batches at once one time but it didn't work. Now I make one at a time and if I have extra plums, I chop them up and freeze them for another jam making time. I use any kind of plums--last summer I used damson plums (mmm) for one batch. I used plums from my neighbour's tree (mmmm) for 2 more batches. The colour of the jam is the most beautiful red. If you don't eat the jam within 2 weeks, it grows the most spectacular mould.

I've also used the same recipe for apricot jam and for peach jam. Both were successful although the peach jam was a little sweet. I think if I make peach jam again, I won't put in the honey. stomp

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

I've also used the same recipe for apricot jam and for peach jam. Both were successful although the peach jam was a little sweet. I think if I make peach jam again, I won't put in the honey. stomp

This is often my complaint with jams - they're too sweet. But I LOVE apricot jam and I suspect that I also love plum jam. We discovere the wonders of Santa Rosa plums last summer. (They made GREAT pie!) Thanks for posting your jam recipe.

Slightly Off topic:
Would you also recommend Deafening by Frances Itani?

edit:
reply to the offtopic portion of this post, Deafening by Frances Itani here

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Mon 14 Mar, 2005 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tea Biscuits Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
... Rachael Ray made biscuits from a mix (I make mine from scratch stomp )

I agree that biscuits made from scratch are better, and very easy. However, some mixes of this kind are really quite good and may have only the ordinary ingredients we use, but already mixed together. No added junk. (More expensive, though.)

It's been quite some time since I did any baking. I don't like doing it. Don't much like cooking, for that matter. But I enjoy seeing the hints and I often use the ideas presented in llizard's forum.

I find that Rachael Ray often does not put enough vegetables in her 30 minute meals. Or perhaps I don't watch her very often. She is on late at night when I finally start vegging out in front of the TV before nodding off to sleep. I notice she has many good ideas for making things fast and easy.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Slightly Off topic:
Would you also recommend Deafening by Frances Itani?

Yes, I found it quite compelling. I like reading about language acquisition and I found myself watching in the mirror as I said different sounds. "ch" and "j" look the same as do "t" and "d". Imagine how difficult it is for people who read lips. There were 5 of us at my Book Club. Of the 5, 3 had read it, 1 was about half way through and the other person has 2 month old twins--she has time for nothing but she likes listening to us discuss the book. The 3 of us who had read it all liked it a lot which is great. Our last book, Blade of Grass by Someone Whose Name Escapes me was not as well received. In fact, one woman said it was the stupidest book ever written.

edited by llizard:
reply to this post about Deafening by Frances Itani here

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Rachel Ray Reply with quote

This may not be exactly on-topic (tea biscuits) , but, what kind of stuff has Racheal had done to her face? Major surgery? She was just fine before (like Anna Olsen!).

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tea Biscuits Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I agree that biscuits made from scratch are better, and very easy. However, some mixes of this kind are really quite good and may have only the ordinary ingredients we use, but already mixed together. No added junk. (More expensive, though.)

I've never understood how it can be any faster to use a mix than to just make biscuits from scratch. Granted, I haven't made biscuits with a mix, nor did I see Rachel Ray making them. But I'm guessing one has to provide one's own milk and perhaps one's own oil too? Tea biscuits are so insanely easy to make and from what I learned relatively recently, one doesn't even have to measure very carefully.

Rachel Ray has lost her luster for me ever since I saw a bit of her Las Vegas on $40 a day show. I got the impression she didn't really have a clue about how to find good food (or even what was good) and/or that it was just a big advertisement for the various restaurants she visited.

The other thing that drives me nuts about her is that she throws EVERYTHING into the garbage. Why doesn't she have a compost bowl??

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tea Biscuits Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

The other thing that drives me nuts about her [Rachael Ray] is that she throws EVERYTHING into the garbage. Why doesn't she have a compost bowl??

I've seen her put egg whites in the garbage bowl when she only wanted the yolks. (!) And I hate it when she removes the seeds from tomatoes and throws it away (me, I think the seed part is the best part, at least for tomatoes that have translucent seed sections). stomp

I don't like the way she throws away half the carrot either boo! . It only takes seconds to peel a carrot; cutting off the edges in a square takes longer and wastes the best part of the carrot. If she's going to do that, she should at least suggest putting the left-over bits in the freezer for making stock.

la la la

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: