discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

'Deafening' by Frances Itani

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: 'Deafening' by Frances Itani Reply with quote

In the tea biscuit thread:

MrsBrown wrote:
llizard wrote:

Would you also recommend Deafening by Frances Itani?

Yes, I found it quite compelling.

I'm quite intrigued. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm almost finished Larry's Party by Carol Shields. I'm liking it a lot and like the idea of following it with another good book.

MrsBrown wrote:
I like reading about language acquisition and I found myself watching in the mirror as I said different sounds. "ch" and "j" look the same as do "t" and "d". Imagine how difficult it is for people who read lips. There were 5 of us at my Book Club. Of the 5, 3 had read it, 1 was about half way through and the other person has 2 month old twins--she has time for nothing but she likes listening to us discuss the book. The 3 of us who had read it all liked it a lot which is great. Our last book, Blade of Grass by Someone Whose Name Escapes me was not as well received. In fact, one woman said it was the stupidest book ever written.

When I was playing in a pit orchestra, some of us actually managed to learn to read lips. Well sort of. We could only read very simple sentences and words. One guy was amazing though. I used to try to trap him with very complicated sentences and he would be able to piece together what I said and mouth back an equally complicated answer. Others looked at us as if we were out of our minds (which of course, we were) and asked during breaks if we were actually saying anything at all.

But it still floors me that not EVERYONE can read simple sentences and I find myself getting quite annoyed if I mouth some easy instruction to my husband through a shop window and he looks at me pityingly and shakes his head in exasperation.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: